Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, August 22, 2008

Dizzy Brunette

When I woke up last Thursday morning I felt as if I were coming out of anesthesia, or as though I'd been to an extremely wild party the night before, neither of which was the case. I felt a little better during and after my morning swim, but still a bit askew. (This was really the reason why I didn't join Miss B in riding the slide at Small's Falls: the water was indeed much higher with a much stronger current than we'd seen them before, but quite a few people were happily frolicking in it. With my sense of balance off and the world tending to spin at odd intervals, it just didn't seem like a good time for me to be one of them.)

I figured it might have been something I'd eaten, or an oddity in my medication (could I have taken an extra dose and not remembered it? I didn't think so, but stranger things have happened), but when the condition persisted after we got home I began to worry a bit, and when I couldn't even turn my head this morning without setting off the merry-go-round effect, it was time to visit the doctor.

After asking me a few questions (any changes in medication? no; any other drugs or alcohol? no), he put a pillow behind me and had me lie back as fast as I could and turn my head to the left. "Dizzy?" he asked.
"Yes, a little," I said.
He had me sit up again and do the same thing once more, but this time turning my head to the right. "Whoa, yeah," I said as soon as my head hit the examining table. He told me to stay put until everything stopped moving, which took a while this time, but eventually I sat up and he smiled at me.
"You have benign positional vertigo," he said, handing me a sheet of paper. "Do this exercise three times a day and you should be fine in a few days." The exercise is to do the lying-down thing, wait for equilibrium to return, then roll to the left and sit up sideways.

I was pretty amazed at this — not to mention relieved, since I'd been wondering in the back of my swimmy head if I had malignant positional vertigo, or at any rate malignant something — I'd been expecting to be poked and prodded and unnervingly tested and, if lucky, prescribed yet more medication. Who knew such a thing existed, or that the treatment would be so simple? Apparently it can happen on either side, and the cause is unknown. With luck I'll be much improved by Monday, as staggering about the office doesn't usually inspire one's boss's confidence.

It would also be nice to be able to knit without having to stop after every few stitches.

With that happy thought in mind, I present some more flowers from Rangeley.





Have a great weekend, everyone!

12 Comments:

  • Thank goodness it's something that will be easily fixed!

    By Blogger Cookie, at 3:39 PM  

  • whoa. glad it's something benign. and the treatment so simple.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:17 PM  

  • That must be a relief that there's nothing serious going on.

    By Blogger Danielle, at 4:48 PM  

  • How nice that for once in life, it's something simple and easily fixed!

    I love those blue flowers, they're just too cool.

    By Blogger ccr in MA, at 5:04 PM  

  • Those are some beautiful flowers! Crazy about the vertigo thing... glad it's not an awful thing. I have not yet made the sore thumbs... mostly just gussets and the waste yarn type thumbs.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 7:46 PM  

  • I had a little vertigo along with a cold back in the spring, and the whole world felt a little tipped up to one side. I kept walking into the door frame! It was like being in the Fun House all the time.

    So, my sympathies. I love that word "benign".

    By Blogger Alwen, at 7:58 PM  

  • Gotta love an easy fix.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 8:01 PM  

  • Gorgeous flowers - hope the vertigo goes away soon!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:52 PM  

  • You're just aligned to a different gravitational axis. How wonderful that there is a simple exercise to reposition your internal gyroscope!

    Beautiful blossoms. Thanks for sharing!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:36 AM  

  • Take it from a dizzy blonde.. you just have to wait it out! I have this happen several times a year! Sometimes decongestant's help, and it can be allergy related.. but in the end.. you just have to wait it out! It will pass!
    Denise
    knitchat.com

    By Blogger Sorka, at 10:19 AM  

  • Isn't it lovely to go to the doctor and find out that your potentially scary problem is actually a very simple thing that doesn't even require medicine to cure? :-) That doesn't happen very often these days, it seems.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 AM  

  • Sympathies! As you know, I really do know exactly what you're going through (what with the Meniere's). I hope it's clearing up by now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home