Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Barbara Walters, Look To Your Laurels

Undoubtedly by now you've seen the knitblogger's husband interview here and there, around and about. I am nothing if not a sucker for easy blog fodder, so I made Grant do it too.

Me: What is your favorite thing about my knitting?
Him: When it's over?

Me: Ha ha. What is your least favorite thing about my knitting?
Him: The SABLE.

Me: What is something I have knitted that you recall as being good?
Him: Miss B's socks.
Me: Any particular socks?
Him: I thought one of the early pairs with the twisted cable pattern on the side was pretty good. (He's referring to these, one of the two most elaborate pairs of socks I've ever made.)
Me: Excellent choice.

Me: Do you think knitters have an expensive hobby?
Him: Potentially.
Me: Can you elaborate on that?
Him: It is possible for a knitter left to her own devices to go beyond the bounds of propriety, not to mention parsimony.

Me: Do you have any hobbies?
Him: Yes. (pause) Do you want more than that?
Me: Yes.
Him: You know what they are: music, languages and t-shirt design, just to name three.
Me: How about CD acquisition?
Him: I'm not actively pursuing that at the moment. I may actually have enough, or nearly enough.
Me: Sure, that's what they all say.

Me: Moving right along … Has my knitting in public ever embarrassed you?
Him: No. Annoyed, yes, embarrassed, no.

Me: Do you know my favorite kind of yarn?
Him: Uh... is this counting qiviut, or not?
Me: I've only knit with qiviut once.
Him: If it weren't expensive, would you use it more?
Me: Probably, but leave qiviut out of it for the moment.
Him: Not really. I know you're not fond of polyester.

Me: Can you name another knitting blog?
Him: Sure, there's Wooly Headed, and there's, um, what's her name, Crazy Aunt Purl.
Me: Anyone else?
Him: You want an exhaustive list?
Me: No, just wondering if you knew one or two others.
Him: There's Zeneedle. And I should mention the nice person who showed my Klingon shirt... um... kmkat? And there's Yarn Harlot.
Me: That's quite impressive.
Him: Do you count Ravelry as a blog, or is that more of an online community?
Me: The latter, I think.

Me: So, do you mind that I want to check out yarn stores everywhere we go?
Him: Sometimes.
Me: It does come in handy when there's a yarn store next to a bookstore, don't you think?
Him: That's true.

Me: Do you understand the importance of a swatch?
Him: It's very handy if you're trendy and want to tell time. Maybe it's not even trendy any more. Um... no, the answer is no.

Me: Do you read Rhymes With Fuchsia?
Him: Usually. I don't read every post, but I catch up occasionally.
Me: Have you ever left a comment?
Him: Yes. I commented on Ed's trying to climb on the counter, for example.
Me: Yes, that was a good one.

Me: Do you think the house would be cleaner if I didn't knit?
Him: That's hard. I know knitting takes up time you could be spending cleaning, but I'm not convinced you'd spend it cleaning if you didn't knit.
Me: I think you may have something there.

Me: Thanks so much for playing along. Is there anything you would like to add in closing?
Him: Yes, visit Cicero's Soapbox.
Me (rolls eyes): Aside from advertising.
Him: (laughs) Um... my mind's a blank.
Me: This is a good place to end, then.

Isn't he sweet? Note to self: always check LYS locations for nearby bookstores.

Only two more days of vacation. Tune in tomorrow for my report on today's visit to Canada. Miss B has now visited every country in North America, unless you count Belize.

4 Comments:

  • Heh. I guess neither of us would clean more if we knit less.

    By Blogger Danielle, at 12:39 AM  

  • Great answers! I never did get around to showing my Klingon. I really must do that! I love wearing it!

    By Blogger margene, at 7:41 AM  

  • Yay Grant!! Good interview. He sounds like a very savy knit-spouse. He knows qiviut - I'm impressed!!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:38 AM  

  • He knows about SABLE? It's one thing to recognize the condition, but to know what it's called... wow!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home