Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

To Boldly YO Where No YO Has Been Before

Have you ever forgotten to put in a yo and not noticed until you'd already worked the next row, or two or three? I do it a lot, but I now know how to insert the yo and the st(s) above it without ripping back. If you've done more than one lace project, you probably figured this trick out already, but it would have saved me much grief and ripping had I known it a little sooner, so I think it's worth a post.


The first step is to figure out where the yo should have gone. Here my diamonds are nicely separated by yo's, except for the last two rows where I should have made the yellow thread a yo (a yo being merely a lifted running thread) and the green thread should have been a stitch worked into the yo.


To fix it, work to the stitch before the missing yo, then pass the right needle under the thread that should have been a yo...


and lift it up in front of the second (green) thread.


Then scoop the green thread up and through the yellow thread...


put the rescued st on the left needle, and proceed.

If the missing yo is several rows down, you will need to work it all the way back up to the current row as you would a dropped stitch.

If you're fixing just one missing yo, the work may be a bit tight at first, but it will readjust itself so that the fix won't be noticeable. If, however, you have two or more missing yo's near each other, you may need to rip back... unless you're lucky enough also to have missed a decrease, about which more later.

6 Comments:

  • I've added missing YOs when I've only knit one row but never more than that. Thanks for the tip!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 6:58 AM  

  • Dude. That is GENIUS. As if I needed further reason to adore you, Lucia!

    By Blogger Ackery, at 9:14 AM  

  • Although a perfectionist, I'm also lazy, and prefer fixes like this to ripping. I'll also ladder down to fix decreases, cables, etc.

    By Blogger Danielle, at 10:01 AM  

  • Lace magic! Wayyyy cool!

    By Blogger roxie, at 10:04 AM  

  • Oh yes, I have had the pleasure of making this particular mistake. Haven't we all? ;-)

    Oh, and: dreadful pun! ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:13 PM  

  • This really is the school of hard knocks. Thanks!

    By Blogger Laurie, at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home