Rhymes With Fuchsia

Thursday, February 28, 2008

The Devil I Know

When my SIL and her kids were here over the holidays, Miss B and Grant did a whole bunch of fun family things with the out-of-towners: a trip to Build-a-Bear, going to Quincy Market, hanging out in Harvard Square. Taz and I mostly held down the fort at home, but I did join an excursion to a nearby pottery-painting studio. It was a lot of fun, and a couple of weeks ago I picked up my finished piece.


We have discussed my tendency to get a bit carried away, haven't we? I should have picked either a smaller piece or a simpler design. This bowl took me forever and a day. They tell you to paint three coats, which I did, including each. individual. flower. petal. (Danielle and Cece, stop laughing.) I had to go back twice to finish it. The results are not bad at all (although it didn't come out quite as well as I'd hoped: you can see my every-which-way brush strokes and white spots at the color joins (stop, I say!)), but I've decided I prefer obsessions hobbies I can carry around with me, doing a little bit here, a little there, working in the pattern of my daily life. As the saying goes, I'm sticking to my knitting.

5 Comments:

  • I'm a "portable project" person, too. But the bowl is just beautiful!

    By Blogger Chris H, at 11:11 PM  

  • Snigger, snigger, snort. Ahem.

    By Blogger Danielle, at 6:57 AM  

  • obsessive? :) I did three classes of ceramics at a local community college, but nowadays, with kid, family, dogs, work,(knitting, and maybe soon spinning????) what time is there for a hobby where you have to spend hours and hours someplace else. But there was something satisfying about being muddy a lot of the time. Maybe THIS is why most of my clothing is the color of mud?

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 7:30 AM  

  • Indeed, listen to yourself. STOP. It's beautiful. It's like saying that you hate your FO because it doesn't look like it was machine knit.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 9:24 AM  

  • Isn't pottery painting satifying? I just love doing it, even if I'm not at all good at it. Your bowl is delightful! What fun for you. And it's useful, too!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home