Rhymes With Fuchsia

Monday, March 03, 2008

My Hero

The Master Singers concert on Saturday night was a great success. They do one pops concert a year (the others are classical), and this one's theme was Heroes and Villains.

My folks, Miss B and I arrived at the concert in high spirits. The first thing we saw when we sat down puzzled us somewhat.


"Maybe a snack for intermission?" we speculated. But the mystery was soon cleared up.


Captain Vegetable! I didn't remember him from Sesame Street (he was after my sister's time and before my kids'), but other people did.

It is I, Captain Vegetable,
With my carrots and my celery,
Eating crunchy vegetables is good for me,
And it's good for you, so eat them too...


Grant got to work both sides of the street, in the "Shining Armor" hero category...


Sir Lancelot to the rescue!

C'est moi, c'est moi, I blush to disclose,
I'm far too noble to lie,
The man in whom these qualities bloom,
C'est moi, c'est moi, 'tis I.


...and in the "Fools, Frauds and Blowhards" villain category.


He sang his own setting of one of Mr. Toad's boasting songs from The Wind in the Willows.

The world has held great heroes
As history books have showed
But never a name to go down to fame
Compared with that of Toad!


In this reviewer's entirely unbiased opinion, the man was almost as brilliant as the lyrics proclaimed him to be.

5 Comments:

  • It will come as no surprise to you that Young'un loves the Captain Vegetable song.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 10:20 PM  

  • He looks quite dashing, too.

    By Blogger Danielle, at 9:26 AM  

  • I have never before heard of Captain Vegetable. How you expand my horizons!

    Does he sing to you on road trips? It would delight me no end to hear "C'est moi" for a few miles!

    Is he putting out a Mr. Toad CD? I know people who would be enchanted!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:42 AM  

  • Captain Veggie cleans up nice!

    By Blogger Witchypoo, at 11:34 AM  

  • I'm so sorry I missed it... the term paper was kicking my butt and I had to stay home and fight back. (It's done now, thank God.)

    I think Captain Vegetable was part of the Sesame Street era of my youth - I still remember all the words, even!

    I'm glad it went well!

    By Blogger Jena, at 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home