Rhymes With Fuchsia

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Yarnal Concupiscence


In the last two days, in between beetlemania and trying to figure out what to take to Rhinebeck (two changes of clothes: yes, I know that, smartypants, I mean of course what knitting project(s) and what spinning equipment), I've managed to get several pictures taken for the benefit of bingo players who don't know what I look like. This one is the least crummy of the lot, which gives you some idea of how bad the others were. (I don't photograph well, as you can see above and from these examples.) Since naturally I have still not managed to complete a sweater, I will be wearing the shirt shown in the picture, at least on Saturday. Just a hint btw: if you'll be there on Saturday and you have Ruth and/or me on your card, that would be the time to hunt us down. We will be there on Sunday, but not for long.

A couple of weeks ago my parents spent the night in our guest room on their way further south. This meant, of course, that I had to make the guest room beds visible available for sleeping, which meant that I had to put all the yarn away in the stash closet. It turned out to be a rather tight fit, so I immediately vowed not to buy anything else until I'd used up a few things to make more room.

Stage 1, promising to mend my ways, was unsurprisingly followed almost immediately by stage 2, temptation, in the form of the gorgeous socks Cookie knit for Norma, Jane's new socks, Margene's Monkey business, and... you get the idea.

Self, I said to myself, right before Rhinebeck this state of mind is a Very Bad Thing. In an attempt to focus on something else I pulled out the skein I'm holding in the picture above. I dyed it last summer, and I didn't really like the results: color transitions too abrupt, greens too bright, blues too brassy. Maybe, I ruminated, it'll look better knit up. Yesterday, finally facing the fact that there was only one way to find out, I cast on and knit a few rows, switching from stockinette to lace to see how that would look, since there's enough for a shawl.

"It'll look better knit up" turns out to be an understatement. I don't have a picture because I frogged the swatch and started winding immediately, but the colors had me thoroughly seduced after the first row. I found that I liked them much better in itty-bitty st st than in lace. So, while I realize it'll win me no style points, I've found my Rhinebeck sock yarn. It'll keep me busy and save me from kid-in-a-candy-store syndrome.

Shut up. It totally will.

14 Comments:

  • Oh now this sounds like a challenge.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 12:41 PM  

  • You know Carole is going to make sure you get tempted now, don't you?

    Good luck and have a good time!

    By Blogger Cookie, at 1:04 PM  

  • I'm not playing bingo, but I'll be hunting for you and Ruth anyway. :-)

    I'm saying the same thing about Rhinebeck. I just want a little fibery souvenir, probably from Fantom, Frelsi, or Grafton. But the overstimulated-kid-in-candy-shop reaction is awfully hard to prevent. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:20 PM  

  • Heh, heh, heh. Sure I believe you ...

    By Blogger Danielle, at 1:55 PM  

  • Haha, nice try. Have fun at Rhinebeck and not go too crazy. Although you were pretty restrained at NHS&W?

    By Blogger WandaWoman, at 2:53 PM  

  • Oh, Lucia...you're just so gosh-darn cute when you're delusional. Can't wait to see the socks, though!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:31 PM  

  • I'm almost speechless.
    I am excited like a kid.
    I should get out more.
    xo

    By Blogger Sandy, at 7:48 PM  

  • Sounds like Carole is going to bring you down :) still I totally understand what you mean.

    Your not on my card this year but I hope to still run into you it.

    By Blogger textilejunkie, at 8:50 PM  

  • I'm so sorry you weren't here for the yarn store sale... could've totally messed you up! Now she has all at 1/3 off, but I hear there is very little left. I'm not sure my yarn balls will look better knit up, but they do satisfy some (well unnamable? undescribable?) urge. DH says he thinks I'm trying to be a roadside attraction... hmph!

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 8:55 PM  

  • oh no. Carole is going to crush you. Don't ask how I know this...I just know.

    I'd also like to find out who is running the pool on how fast you'll cave? I'd like to put my nickel on the 'hour and five minute' slot if you don't see Carole right away and on the 'eleven second' slot if you do.

    It's not that I don't believe in your fortitude - I just trust in Carole's ability to enable a tad more. ;o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:22 AM  

  • If I was betting I'd be placing money on Carole!

    You guys aren't on my card but of course I still want to say hi. Hope to see you there!

    By Blogger Julie, at 4:57 AM  

  • Have Ruth hold your money.

    When posing for a full length photo, twist your body so the hips are presented in profile and the shoulders are square to the camera. Forward foot pointing at the camera, rear foot snugged up sideways, your weight on the back foot, boobs up, shoulders down, belly in, lick your lips and think about cashmere.

    Have a ball and gets lots of photos!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:28 AM  

  • That's some serious wishful thinking, there lady. So now I have an excuse to harass you when I see you with a shopping bag? mwah ha ha. See you tonight/tomorrow! Hooray!

    By Blogger FemiKnitMafia, at 10:59 AM  

  • Hi Lucia,
    I'm on your card (knitting infinity). I won't have my camera till saturday (too late to post a pic of me!)but now that I know what you look like I'll be looking for you. Ruth is on my card! Look forward to meeting you and Ruth!
    p.s. I love that yarn. It's beautiful!

    By Blogger Wendy, at 11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home