Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

An Inordinate Fondness for Beetles


It's pumpkin-beetle season here in the Northeast. They seem especially thick this year, clustering by the dozen on the outside walls of the house.


I was out there for quite a while this afternoon, cooking up a little Rhinebeck surprise and getting beetle-bombed.


Where did they come from? I grew up in the next town over and don't remember ever seeing one. They were probably accidentally imported on a rubber plant, or something like that. In any case, they're sort of cute in a beetlish way.

As you may have guessed, I'm talking about beetles because I've got nothing — and because they really have been on my mind, not to mention my glasses, my hair, my clothes. Tomorrow: a bit of knitting, as well as a visual aid for Blogger Bingo players.

9 Comments:

  • Ooh can't wait to see that Rhinebeck surprise.

    The only beetle I like is Paul :)

    By Blogger textilejunkie, at 1:24 AM  

  • I noticed the ladybug plague yesterday too. I can't remember the difference but I strongly suspect these are the invasives trying to get indoors for a comfy winter nesting spot. I suspect I'll be filling up the vacuum bag with them in a few months.

    By Blogger Julie, at 7:33 AM  

  • You and Darwin, eh? Those are an exotic lady beetle, I think the 9 spot or something. I think they live in our houses! Here, http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/ent/biocontrol/predators/harmonia.html. One google result said something about respiratory allergies in infested houses.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 7:42 AM  

  • I've never heard of them as pumpkin beetles. I've found them in the house in the dead of winter sometimes. Cute little critters. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:15 AM  

  • Lady bug, lady bird, pumpkin beetle: an aphid-eater by any other name is still our friend. A request from the left coast: Rhinebeck photos, please!!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:58 AM  

  • Pumpkin beetle sounds a lot more charming than what we call them: "Those nasty creepy little fake ladybugs."

    We tend to get them a lot around here, and they're particularly fond of cracks in the house or ventilation shafts as a means of coming to visit.

    Does your version smell bad when you squish them?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:22 AM  

  • We have them too - they're supposed to be good luck. I'm thinking RR told me that so I don't freak out... ;o)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 AM  

  • That's what they are! I was always struck at their orange color.

    By Blogger Nicole, at 11:28 AM  

  • I can always tell when winter's coming, the ladybugs/pumpkin beetles move indoors. For some reason we always get a plague of them in our bathroom, that's the only place they hang out.

    By Blogger Lorette, at 7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home