Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Thoughtful Sock

My Trekalong sock was a long time getting started due to needle issues. Having determined that anything bigger than a 0 was Too Big, I first tried Skacel bamboo circs, to which I'm addicted thanks to Liz's having once given me one. (Hi, Liz!) Only trouble is, on the 0 the join is too big for the stitches to slide over easily. With deep sighs, I resigned myself to an Addi, my problem with Addis being that their tips are much too blunt. It's not quite as bad with the 0, since the whole needle is so much skinnier, but still annoying any time I have to do anything other than knit or purl. Still, I cast on bravely, and a sock was born. True to the Trekalong spirit, the sock immediately set out for the nearby conservation land, accompanied by me and Miss B. The sock enjoyed feeling the grass under its feet — er, foot.


No, the leaves in the picture are not poison ivy. You will be pleased to know, though, Roxie, that from this vantage point the sock has an excellent view of the skunk cabbage.

The sock and I shared a contemplative moment in my Thoughtful Spot.


I love this place: the water's constant roar or murmur or something in between, depending on the rainfall and the season, the rock beneath me, the trees and sky arching overhead. Since the beavers completed their latest engineering project, the brook's single channel has become three or more, and my Thoughtful Spot is on a tiny island. I've fallen in a few times, but the water on what used to be the path is no more than ankle deep.

I know someone will ask: what is that red stuff? It's Gems, and it matches just a tiny flash of crimson in the Trekking. The sock and I are pleased.

6 Comments:

  • The photo doesn't do your sock justice- it's really gorgeous up close and personal!

    By Blogger Julie, at 11:59 AM  

  • Nice put a face to the name! Yay!
    You are far braver than I. I can't stand working with the Trek yarn. I may have to drop out of the Trek-along. I've tried and failed four times. I like that you are using the Gems. (I have some hidden away in black and in red for a pair of socks.)
    It great to have a nature spot. Mine is in the Aududon in South Natick. It has similar qualities with shade, air and the sound of running water. And lots of birds.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 PM  

  • The sock has a truely zen-like serenity. The pictures make me sigh with contentment from the base of my spine on up.

    Where do you think when the weather is stinky?

    (Glad the sock saw the skunk cabbage. Socks can benefit from a wide range of experiences. See how beautiful it is already?)

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:38 AM  

  • You are very lucky to have such an excellent Thoughtful Spot. If I ever manage to tame the wilderness that is our backyard, I want to engineer a Thoughtful Spot into it, except I'm not certain they can actually be engineered.

    By Blogger Beth S., at 12:05 PM  

  • Oh, what a perfect spot! Just beautiful (and the flash of red goes very well with the green in the background ;)).

    By Blogger Lene Andersen, at 8:56 PM  

  • ditto on the photo not bringing out the yarn's colors - and HI back!

    (and my verification letters are "tibtn", which makes me think, Tibetan...)

    By Blogger Liz, at 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home