Rhymes With Fuchsia

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Woolly Wednesday

Once a month or so the stars align so that all three of my Wednesday knitting groups meet, and I just wander in a wool-induced daze from one to the next. First up yesterday was a knitting and photo session at St*rbucks with Manise and Laurie. Manise may be blogless, but she is an intrepid public sock knitter. Note the Muggle in the background.


After another spell of knitting at Jen's, enlivened by good company and Jen's most excellent blueberry bread (hi, Ruth! hi, Liz! hi, Lauren! hi, Dale!, hi, Renate!, hi, Jen!), I felt almost equal to tackling the feral boxes that keep multiplying in our room and Miss B's.

I am not good at organizing, and I am a pack rat. I also seem to find both of these traits attractive in a mate, and both seem to have a genetic component, so the clutter tends to build up. At a certain point I reach clutter overload, and, being unable to figure out how to begin or where I can buy dynamite, practice selective blindness instead. Yesterday, however, Miss B and I nerved ourselves to go through her clothes, including the most recent batch bequeathed to her by her four female cousins — when you are a born pack rat it doesn't help to have four times as many clothes as you need arriving at your house every few months — and succeeded in paring them down to a supply that would fit comfortably in her dresser. There is of course much more to do, but it's a start. Feeling virtuous, we galloped off to the Javaroom, where more public sock knitting was going on.

What with all this knitting, I finished red scarf #2. The pattern's in the sidebar. Since it's cold out now, I have this cavewoman urge to knit hats and earwarmers and socks and mittens all at once, which probably won't work. (Add being a better starter than finisher to the above list of neuroses, and you can understand why most of the pictures you see of the interior of my house are quite tightly cropped.) Taz really does need a new pair of mittens, though (did I mention that we tend to lose things?), so I'll work on those.

9 Comments:

  • You would live in my house very easily...and I yours. LOL Smith is much more a packrat than I am but that just gives me more reason to do nothing about clutter, as no one cares.
    It was wonderful to see Manise again!

    By Blogger margene, at 4:36 PM  

  • I came from pack rat parents.. there's really no hope, but I have gotten more ruthless over the years. Funny, how us pack rats get attracted to each other; my husband has a hard time saying "no" to any freebies offered. I double posted on your other entry because Blogger was giving my trouble earlier. Sorry 'bout that.

    By Blogger Birdsong, at 5:08 PM  

  • I keep meaning to ask if you ever got a satisfactory red photo. You're still welcome to come by sometime or the photo setup can come to you, whichever is most convenient.

    By Blogger Julie, at 5:30 PM  

  • Packratism is a dreadful disease. While it's not terminal, it can be extremely debilitating. There is no known cure, and control is difficult. It is transmitted via autosomal dominant inheritance, with nonvariable penetration.

    Don't you love when I talk dirty?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:25 PM  

  • Three knitting groups in one day? Lucky, lucky girl! And I envy your organizational spirit. We could use some -- a lot -- of that around here.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 PM  

  • i posted a public knitting picture for you. i think it's public enough ... but you may not think so.

    By Blogger maryse, at 11:19 PM  

  • It's that inner magpie. Just gotta pick up whatever strikes the fancy. Take it home. Have it. Sometimes, I go through the storage and I'm astounded at what we have. And I don't even consider looking through DH's stuff. Fibber McGee and Molly have nothing on us.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:10 AM  

  • Ha! Close cropping is a trick of mine too. One PR to another!

    By Blogger Carol, at 9:42 PM  

  • Packratitis definitely has a genetic component. It skipped generations in my family as my maternal grandmother had it and so do I. Unlike you though, my mate does not exhibit any symptoms and actually tends to moderate my extremes with the exception of my clothes closet(s) and my yarn/fabric/crafts stashes. Wow, three knitting groups! You lucky knitter!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home