Rhymes With Fuchsia

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Wishing You Were Here

I woke up early this morning to a glorious sunrise and rushed outside to capture it in pixels. (Chill: I got dressed first.)



The sunrise only portended an amazing gift of a day, warm and sunny. I keep thinking "this is probably the last one," but the charm of New England weather is that you never quite know for sure. It's supposed to rain for the next three days, and after that... who knows? We celebrated by raking leaves, spurred on by the twins down the street who had come around last weekend talking up their yard-work business and undertaken to mow the lawn one last time. The poor kids. The lawn had gotten away from us, and I had shown them the unruly grass and asked if they were sure they were up for it. For an hour and a half they tried this attachment and that, unclogging their mower multiple times. They want to come back and take one more crack at it. I give them A for effort, whether they succeed or not. At least they motivated us to get the raking done.

Meanwhile, I have been knitting. You may or may not recall that this was a knitting blog, once upon a time, not that you would have known it for the past several months. Recently, however, thanks to the lovely and talented Norma, my knitting mojo has returned, and has brought forth a new pattern for a red scarf.


I really do wish you were here, because despite photographing it outdoors and indoors, fiddling madly with the brightness and contrast in Paint Shop Pro, and generally driving myself half nutty (OK, three-quarters nutty, I was already at half), I can't get a decent picture of it. The alpaca yarn is wonderfully soft and squooshy but doesn't have great stitch definition. This is my first attempt at reversible cables, and I'm finding it a surprisingly easy and quick knit (we will pass over the errant cable and the frogging thereof). I hope to have the pattern up shortly. I know I always say that, but this time I mean it.

Update: The pattern is up. The link to it is right under Dolores in the sidebar. This is my maiden pattern (she said, blushing). If you see any mistakes, for heaven's sake let me know.

14 Comments:

  • BEAUTIFUL sky. And it really was the most wonderful November day for a long walk.
    I use PSPX every single day. Let's talk.I know about the photo mystery.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:50 AM  

  • *giggle* Half, huh?

    It was wonderful yesterday. I enjoyed the sunrise also, but it was from bed and out the bedroom windows. We did lots of yardwork also, and loved the temps. I started out in a coat, and shed it quickly.

    Pretty scarf. I like the color on my monitor. No consolation, I know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:14 AM  

  • Yesterday was beautiful. And it's raining, yes, but it's still warm.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 7:34 AM  

  • we never got the leaves done yesterday so today they'll just get wet and soggy.

    By Blogger maryse, at 7:46 AM  

  • That is a beautiful sky Lucia. I love the scarf - don't you hate it when the photo you take (it does look good BTW) while looking great, in no way resembles what is in front of you. The scarf is beautiful on the screen so it must be fabulous close up!

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:41 PM  

  • The sunrise pictures are very nice! I'm not up early enough to see such sights. Yesterday beautiful - today it feels like it's getting ready to snow.

    The scarf is gorgeous!

    By Blogger textilejunkie, at 1:10 PM  

  • It was a beautiful sunrise- I caught it while out peeing the puppy. It started out as a huge red gumdrop rising out of the horizon accompanied by all those colors.

    I think your scarf is lovely.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

  • That sunrise is gorgeous... So smart to do reversible cables on the scarf... it is lovely.

    By Blogger Annie, at 2:09 PM  

  • yay you with the inaugeral pattern!

    By Blogger maryse, at 8:59 PM  

  • Nice job on the pattern!

    I find a deep red the most difficult to photograph but I'm getting better at it. A tan sort of a background with directional lighting seems to work the best for me so far and the direction lighting is helpful with cable photos as well. I do highly recommend a light tent such as this
    http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent
    which is both inexpensive and quick to put together. I did one by myself with no help at all from Jason and I skipped the glue, that's not needed at all. Mine cost about $20 using store bought fabric instead of a sheet.

    By Blogger Julie, at 7:17 AM  

  • Beautiful!! (the sunrise and the scarf).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:35 AM  

  • You created reversable cables? Omigawd, woman, you could build a sunny day! What a wicked brilliant idea for a scarf!!

    By Blogger roxie, at 2:59 PM  

  • Pretty scarf, pretty sky...with the exception of the lawn, I think you're batting a thousand. (and I sort of like an unmoved lawn....)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 AM  

  • I wonder if I have enough Rhinebeck Icelandic for that scarf? I think perhaps not... but surely there is other yarn in the stash that would do the trick. How exciting!

    By Blogger Beth S., at 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home