Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Cleanup

I'm not even going to try to give you excuses, or reasons, even. Let's just say that we survived the holidays, Yule, Christmas and all that. We took down the tree today and swept up what seemed like five pounds of needles. I finished a hat for charity, and a couple of squares, and started a new red scarf, but don't have pictures or a pattern ready for prime time yet. And I've been thinking about lists, because why should I be different?

In 2007 I will...
  1. Think before I buy yarn. I seriously considered doing Knit From Your Stash, but decided that such a confirmed yarn addict as myself needs to set more modest goals. I was inspired by Julia to start by asking myself, "Do I really need this, or am I just buying it because it's pretty, or on sale, or really really soft, or Ruth told me about it?" Not to pick on Ruth, other people tell me about yarn too, but, let's face it, she is a serial enabler, with, so to speak, a whole string of incidents to her name. While I'm facing things, I may as well also note that I don't promise to resist any yarn meeting any three of the above four criteria.
  2. Share a little more of myself with the world, via the blog.
  3. Finish at least one adult-sized sweater. The size specification is necessary to prevent me from seaming the still-in-pieces baby sweater and claiming that that counts. Unfortunately, given the size of my stash, this item does not constitute an excuse to buy more yarn.
  4. Spin enough yarn for an entire wearable knitted garment (or, in the case of socks or handwear, pair of garments). Actually knit said garment(s).
  5. Make at least five pairs of socks.
  6. Submit at least one design to a knitting magazine or a yarn company. (Just to be clear, online magazines count.)
  7. Knit at least ten things for charity. I am already on the hook for five for Dulaan, so this should be an easy one.
  8. Buy a bike (neither stationary nor motor) and ride it, using it for transportation for short errands that don't involve heavy objects.
  9. Buy more local food and serve more vegetarian meals.
  10. Post more sky pictures. (I had a couple all ready to go, but Blogger doesn't seem to want to upload them. C'est la vie.)

Update: with about 40 minutes to spare, voilà!



Happy New Year, everyone!

13 Comments:

  • Happy New Year! I do look forward to the "sharing" more bit as I always enjoy your posts. If you're interested in local greens let me know- a friend has an organic farm and is doing greens but I never get up the impetus to drive to Concord just for me. If I was picking up for multiple folks it might be worth the trouble. I envy you having your tree down, hubby likes to keep ours until the 1st so mine is still up. He's not dropped many needles though, I do recommend Idylewilde for trees, cut flowers, and veggies.
    http://www.idylwildefarm.com/

    By Blogger Julie, at 8:21 PM  

  • Five pair? Why not four? ;)

    Happy New Year!!!

    By Blogger Scoutj, at 8:23 PM  

  • Happy New Year Lucia! Ruth is quite the enabler ;-) indeed! Looking forward to your posts in 2007!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:22 AM  

  • A very Happy New Year to you! I look forward to the reading!

    By Blogger Carol, at 8:29 AM  

  • happy new year to you and your family. i think your list of resolutions is quite reasonable.

    By Blogger maryse, at 8:32 AM  

  • Happy New Year! That is a thoughtful and thought-provoking list. I could see our Ruth filling that role.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:08 AM  

  • The photo of the tree with lights is fantastic! I like the off-centered, dim quality. It's really pretty.
    Happy New Year.
    And, I'm with Scout- why not 4? lol

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:37 AM  

  • Good luck with the resolutions. Happy New Year.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 10:15 AM  

  • You haven't specified what size yarn and needles for that adult sweater. There's a great deal to be said for chunky yarn and whoopty twelve needles. And if you spin nice thick yarn, you could knit those socks on size 8s . . .

    Also, there's a LOT to be said for tube socks. They fit everyone, and since you don't have that fiddly heel to slow you down, they can be a mindless movie delight.

    Does it count if someone GIVES you more yarn? What if it's on such a marvelous close-out sale that it's almost like they're giving it away?

    I will not, however, let you slide on that share more thing. Looking forward to knowing you better!

    By Blogger roxie, at 12:29 PM  

  • This from the woman who is singlehandedly responsible for all the Elann sock yarn in my stash.

    (By the way, did you see that Elann is posting Debbie Bliss cotton cashmere tomorrow and the merino dk on the 16th?)

    Great resolutions. Sounds doable to me.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 12:55 PM  

  • Happy New Year!

    Yes, that Ruth, she is trouble. I blame her for my recent sock yarn purchases.

    I'm looking forward to seeing your resolutions in action -- you are always so inspiring, Lucia.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 AM  

  • Happy New Year to you too! I'm looking forward to seeing how the resolutions go!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:52 PM  

  • Happy New Year!

    I am thinking about doing something akin to Knit Your Stash too, but I already blew it by ordering 3 skeins of StR on the 2nd, so... I definitely get the impetus though.

    By Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn, at 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home