Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Scarf City

It looks like three will be my total for the Red Scarf Project. Miss B was kind enough to do a photo shoot for me so that I can finally get some pictures up. Here she models scarf 1, with large reversible cables and reversible baby cable ribs. Note that she has been looking at too many fashion magazines. I did manage to retain creative discretion at all times, despite her informing me, "Mom, real models don't look at the camera, and they never smile."

Here we have scarf 2, with the baby cable and braided ribs (cat optional). The pattern is sort of a simplified version of the first one.

Miss B did model the third scarf for me, but it was about two feet long at the time, and when it was finished and ready for its close-up she was busy with her homework. (Really, kids these days.) I started it last Saturday, choosing enormous yarn and needles, 7 mm, in the hope that it would go fast, which it did. This was due partly to yarn and needle size and partly to my wish to be shut of the yarn as soon as possible. It's Berroco Foliage, and it's thick and thin and very splitty. Eventually, about six inches from the end, I got used to it and didn't have to think about it much.

And here it is (click to embiggen and see the pattern a little better). I really do love these colors: I can forgive the yarn its shortcomings because it's so pretty. Generally I'm a bit snobby about yarn that does all the work for you, and, speaking of creative discretion, I will decide when I personally wish to change colors, thank you very much. (Control freak? Moi? Surely you jest.) Now and then, however, I'm willing to make an exception. I wouldn't knit with this yarn again unless someone who totally deserved it really wanted me to, but I'm very happy to have made this scarf.

The pattern is very simple (another reason for the quick knit), and at some point I'll get around to charting it; for now I've just written it out.

Cast on a multiple of 6 sts plus 3: I used 27 sts at about 4 sts per inch.
Row 1: k4, *p1, k5, end last repeat k4.
Row 2: p4, *k1, p5, end last repeat p4.
Row 3: repeat row 1.
Row 4: k3, *p1, k1, p1, k3.
Row 5: p3, *k1, p1, k1, p3.
Row 6: repeat row 4.
Repeat these 6 rows until done, ending with row 3 if you're anal about symmetry (see above re: control freak). Bind off.

7 Comments:

  • She looks so cute modeling that scarf.
    Oh, sorry, not cute...um...professional. Like she's been doing it forever. And the huge black cat couldn't be any more a natural, too. Great post.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:20 PM  

  • She is so cute!!!

    By Blogger Scoutj, at 10:53 PM  

  • hello beautiful miss B! the scarf looks great too.

    By Blogger maryse, at 6:23 AM  

  • O.k., who told Miss B that she could look so grown up? Good heavens, I don't see the kid for a week or two, and all of a sudden she's 16.

    Red is certainly her color.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 7:43 AM  

  • Look out Miss B might end up on the cover of a magazine!

    I loved the last scarf - the yarn looked handspun. There are times when I can really appreciate the more 'rustic' homespun look. Especially in scarves.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:33 AM  

  • Is this the same cat who spends too much time up at the tops of inappropriately tall trees? :-)

    Miss B. looks great in those scarves. Or is it that the scarves look great on Miss B.?... Either way, nice job. ;-)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 1:29 PM  

  • Great scarves! I see a future supermodel in the making!

    By Blogger Ann, at 10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home