Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, April 02, 2006

Sock Dreams

Many thanks for all the suggestions, good wishes and kind words about Callie. We have no idea what set her to climbing in the first place, but she was up there for at least three full days, during which I got nothing done and at one point forgot I had a cake in the oven (not for long, fortunately). Until the moment she hit the ground I would have said I was coping reasonably well; once it was over I could admit that I had been quite demented with worry. Stupid cat.

Now that I'm what passes with me for functional again, I've been washing more of the free fleece, and I've also carded and spun a little of the previous batch. I'll have full details of that when the process is complete (yes, I photographed raw fleece: can you say "blogomania"?). I also finished the Dulaan hat and started another one. I'll continue the charity knitting for the rest of Lent, but I am also feeling the first stirrings of deadline panic thinking about Sockapaloooza.


My sock pal likes blues and greens; I like purples and reds. From left to right we have:

  • Bearfoot, colorway Mountain Twilight
  • Elann Essential 4 Ply
  • Elann Esprit
  • Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock, colorway Purple Club
The Bearfoot is the obvious choice, but, um... (lowers head and twiddles thumbs) I'm not sure I can bring myself to part with it. Ruth found the Essential 4 Ply was, in her word, plasticky — but maybe with some Eucalan? I'll have to knit a swatch. The Esprit is very nice stuff (it's Cotton Fixation's identical twin, except in price), and I've worked quite a bit with it. I've never worked with the Lorna's before, but I've fondled other people's, and I do love the colors.

One consideration is that I like to control my color changes and to do heels in a contrasting color, which would incline me toward one of the Elann yarns. I have lots of colors of both of these. OTOH the Bearfoot and the Lorna's are so beautiful that I may be rationalizing here.

What do y'all think?

7 Comments:

  • Of course you're rationalizing. But so what? Your pal likes colors you don't have in the Lorna's, really. I vote fun patterning in the KnitPicks.

    By Blogger Liz, at 9:06 PM  

  • I would have a problem parting with the Barefoot, too, but the LL looks pretty good as well and is no slight to your pal.

    By Blogger Kris, at 9:06 PM  

  • It is hard to give Bearfoot away. I am knitting my mom a pair of socks for her birthday and fortunately it is not a colorway I'd choose for myself - if it were? All bets would be off. :-P

    I'd say either do something fab with patterning or use the Lorna's. Which is no slouch in the quality department (my 2nd favorite sock yarn).

    By Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn, at 10:00 PM  

  • mwah ha ha - I wasn't intentionally enabling. But don't you think you should check out the sock yarn on KnitPicks just to be sure?

    (I did mean elann, actually)

    By Blogger Liz, at 9:33 AM  

  • not that anyone ever needs an excuse, but it sounds like you might have an opportunity to go yarn shopping! No reason to part with the bearfoot, but visit Little Knits and check out their Lorna's Laces selection. Good prices too!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 AM  

  • Of course I will vote for the blue - go for the Bearfoot - you can always get more!

    Kathleen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:26 AM  

  • I like the blue ball on top of the pile of three. Thanks for stopping by my blog today--that is the Beginner's Triangle it's in Knit Picks Turquoise Splendor it reminds me of the ocean :)

    By Blogger Kim, at 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home