Rhymes With Fuchsia

Saturday, February 25, 2006

We're blocking, we're blocking

Last night Boomer took me to see Colin Mochrie and Brad Sherwood for my birthday. If you ever get a chance to see them, you should go. They are a terrific time, even if you're not sitting in the first 20 rows, from which they pick all of the audience participants. (Apparently if you're female it is also necessary to be blonde.)

In any event, when we left I had finished all the knitting on the Olympic sweater except the shawl collar. I had really hoped to start blocking Thursday, and then I'd hoped to finish before we left yesterday, but I figured about half an hour to finish the knitting and another 15 minutes to block when we got home and I'd be in bed at a semi-respectable hour.

I forgot that the collar was seed stitch, and thus subject in its own small way to Harlot's Black Hole Theory of Knitting, which states that in any stitch where progress is not screamingly obvious the rows will mysteriously disappear as you knit them and it will take at least three times as long as it should to complete the required length. So (I will spare you the excruciating detail) by the time I finished the knitting and got that puppy washed and all possible excess water squeezed out of it and the blocking board (thanks, Kathleen!) set up and the pieces wired (thanks again, Kathleen!) and pinned, it was 2:30. I cannot remember the last time I was up until 2:30. Normally I start to fade at 9:45.

But we're blocking.


I am a little concerned that it won't dry in time, and I'm thinking of moving the board to a warmer place, such as Bermuda. But I am keeping in mind Margene's wisdom: it's the process, stupid. If I can't be Shizuka Arakawa I will be Eddie the Eagle.

And I will finish the sweater. I may not win a medal, but I will finish.

6 Comments:

  • You'll finish. You might not sleep. But, you'll finish.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 11:55 AM  

  • You were there, too? The guy with the striped sweater who got up to dance with "MC Jim" was my high school biology teacher. I was there with my friend, her in-laws (her husband is away on a business trip for Raytheon) and another couple. I was the only non-Raytheon employee or employee's wife in the group. :)

    Knit knit knit... I couldn't have brought mine with me last night... the balcony seats are so close together and small!

    -Jena (yarnharpy on LJ, blueharpy on blogger)

    By Blogger Jena, at 12:28 PM  

  • Sleep is vastly overrated. You'll finish.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 1:55 PM  

  • Looking lovely! Point a fan on the knitting and it will dry faster! (or you could blow on it)
    Kathleen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 PM  

  • Very nice cabling, glad to see this didn't fall into the black hole. Love that blocking board, too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:05 AM  

  • You can do it! Or rather, I'm utterly certain you did it, as I'm posting this well after the closing ceremonies.

    Good luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home