Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

We Shawl Overcome

The auction shawl is underway. I changed the yarn for it twice, starting with Shetland wool (beautiful colors, quite scratchy, and I would probably run out), proceeding to brushed mohair (let us not speak of this again), and ending up with a mill end labeled Nature Spun sport weight. The yarn is single ply, however, and Nature Spun is 3 ply in all weights, so your guess is as good as mine. It's lovely and soft, though, a nice springtime color, and I'm getting to the point of not having to think much about not splitting it.

shawlI promised an original design, which it is, a riff on your basic openwork diamond pattern (from the first Walker treasury and pretty much any standard pattern reference). What I aspire to in the originality department is more along the lines of Mim's Mountain Peaks Shawl.


I'd join the Mountain Lace KAL if I didn't already have my work cut out for me here: I figure all I have to do is average two complete repeats (24 rows) a day, and I should finish in time. Probably a bit more than that, actually, to allow time for finishing and blocking.

Meanwhile, over on Ruth's blog, I'm being blamed for pointing out an error in a Jaywalker sock. Let the record clearly state that 1) I was miles away at work during the Trouble; 2) Ruth clearly identified the culprit, and it wasn't me. Really. I think my reputation is starting to precede me.

9 Comments:

  • You know, there is something about shoes and fitting...hmm, can't quite come up with it...But I'm looking forward to watching you design a shawl. I want to do the very same thing. How did you settle on a design?

    By Blogger Annie, at 8:56 PM  

  • I told Ruth that payback's a bitch and if you pointed out a mistake then, well, she had it comin'.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 10:42 PM  

  • It's very beautiful! Don't underestimate yourself.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:32 PM  

  • Ouch! Title puns! ;-)

    What a neat shawl that's going to be. I love how you're riffing on the pattern, just enough to create your own unique variant of it. That's a handy skill to have--lots of knitters never figure out how to do that.

    By Blogger Beth S., at 11:47 AM  

  • Hi Lucia, love the name of the blog! Thanks for stopping by mine, and for the welcome.

    By the way, beautiful shawl!!! Wow!

    By Blogger Mary in Boston, at 7:48 AM  

  • For the record, I knew you weren't the pointer-outer.

    The shawl is going to be great -- the pattern is so pretty, and I'm sure it will be the pride of the auction.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:50 AM  

  • The shawl-in-progress is Stunning. (thud)--hearty congratulations! Your sock yarn prize is in the mail, btw.

    By Blogger Liz, at 11:59 AM  

  • I would like to say for the record that this is the FUNNIEST POST TITLE ever!!! Now you have me singinging old southern hymns in my head that involve the word "shawl." heheheheh

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:26 PM  

  • singing-ing? goodness but I am a terrible typist

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home