Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Joy of Simplicity

Well, the shawl fetched $70, a real steal at the price but enough to make me happy. It was bought by a friend of mine as a gift for her Bangladeshi mother-in-law. I find the idea that something I made will get to see Bangladesh really, really cool.

Meanwhile, I'm making good progress on the Dulaan hat.


There's something indescribably peaceful about making something so simple, and yet so useful. I'm using remnants of Rowan Cork that I got at deep discount and working on size 10 needles. Since I got into socks and lace I always feel vaguely guilty about using anything bigger than a 7 -- but the yarn calls for 11s, and the hat sure is moving right along.

Achilles walked into the picture while I was focusing, so I left him in. I think he and Lulu Kitty should get together.

Speaking of simplicity, I realized afresh today that socks, hats, et al. notwithstanding, this is the most useful thing I ever made for myself and/or immediate family:

remote holsterThe cries of "Honey, where's the remote?" have greatly diminished since I hung this on the headboard. It was also my first attempt at stranded knitting, which came out pretty well, all things considered.


A side note (pun intended): I've put a link in my sidebar to Boomer's blog, Illegitimi Non Carborundum. Officially it's our blog, and Boomer asked me recently why I've never posted on it. "Because I can never think of anything to say that someone else hasn't already said better," I replied. That's part of the reason why I rarely talk politics here. Boomer has no such compunction, and a way with words — feel free to visit.

5 Comments:

  • Glad you're happy with the shawl price but it was definitely worth way more!

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 5:38 PM  

  • What Carole said.

    I like the remote cozy. Good way to learn stranded knitting...which I have yet to try.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:42 PM  

  • Ditto with Carole and Laurie. Love teh cozy, too. I've made a mental note to try one of those, but *I* control the bedside remote. lol
    I agree, Lulu Kitty should have a play date some day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:14 PM  

  • Ooh, linky goodness, thank you!

    I'm really glad your shawl got a price you're happy with but it was definitely worth so much more. I'm sure the recipient will cherish it.

    By Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn, at 7:37 PM  

  • Your remote-holder is SO CUTE. It looks like something out of Favorite Mittens. (And that's a good thing.)

    How awesome that your shawl is going abroad! Bangladesh... wow. It makes me think about where all my own knitting is going to end up, decades from now. I hope some of it finds its way across the globe like that. :-)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home