Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, March 24, 2006

Amazing Lace

I hope my faithful readers (insert low-readership joke here) will forgive me if I continue the hymn theme for one more post. The Auction Shawl, for which I have neglected many things in my life — family, housework, sleep, blogging — is finished and on the blocking board as I type. Hallelujah! as some guy named George said.

On Wednesday I had coffee, that is coffee and knitting, with Julie, followed by knitting group with Ruth, Anne, Dale and Judy. Everyone said, "What a lovely shawl, but it needs to be [length] longer" — [length] varying between one and two feet. I had previously determined that my absolute maximum repeats per day was about three and a half (a repeat being about two inches long), which is how I ended up scaling back the originally intended 29 repeats to 27 and finally resigned myself to 25 because I just had no more repeats in me. I bound it off (who invented this infernal forever-taking bind-off? um, that would be me), wove in the ends (all 44 of them), and took it upstairs to block. It was a little over four feet long, that is Not Long Enough.


This is the twin bed in the guest room: plenty of room for shawl and cat. I could show you a close-up of the shawl at this point, but you've seen all you need to. No one would pay actual money for this thing.

I gave it its ritual bath, spread out the blocking board (5 feet 8 inches marked off, plenty for a poor minishawl), and began pinning.

shawl 1
shawl2

Same bed, more shawl, less cat. I am far from being the first to witness the Miracle of Blocking, but, like a rainbow, it's no less wondrous every time I see it.

I'm especially pleased with the border.

shawl border

Someone please bid on this, or I shall cry.

8 Comments:

  • Wow, that was quick. I only saw you yesterday and it's done already. Hopefully someone will appreciate amazing lace when they see it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:05 PM  

  • Beautiful! So, what're the finished dimensions?

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 6:53 PM  

  • I'm in awe every time I see that. It's gor-geous! Where is it posted for auction? Let us know the link so we can pass around the Word.
    And, never underestimate the value of your work, it's truly outstanding!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:28 PM  

  • Absolutely beautiful! I love blocking. It is magic. Not like, magic. Magic.

    By Blogger Annie, at 9:32 PM  

  • blocking = alchemy

    Beautifully done, there. Where's the auction?

    By Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn, at 9:53 PM  

  • Lucia, this is stunning. I'm sorry I was so cranky when you called to crow earlier (happy crowing ... this-thing-is-done-done-done crowing ... WELL DESERVED crowing) ... IKEA furniture does that to me.

    I bet you'll get a ton of bids on this tomorrow night ... quality always shines through.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 10:25 PM  

  • BEAUTIFUL! Glad you found the blocking board. How big did it get?
    Kathleen

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:26 AM  

  • It's so beautiful, Lucia! I completely understand why you've not posted -- how could you have worked on anything else? I hope the shawl goes to a bidder who appreciates it -- not just by paying a gazillion dollars, but also by wearing it and treating it well.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home