Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Lust Deferred

After my first post Ruth pointed out that my "about me" list had failed to mention that I really, really hate to follow other people's patterns, preferring to invent my own. This would not be so bad if I stuck to basic designs, if I riffed on The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns (which, if you're a riffer by nature, is the only pattern book you'll ever need) by adding a moss stitch here, a baby cable there. Unfortunately my imagination is more likely to come up with something like this:

pink socksAnd, since I'm not entirely sure (despite swatching) that it can really be done, I tend to procrastinate a lot. So it takes me six months to knit a pair of socks. All I can say is thank heaven I made them out of stretchy yarn, so they still fit Miss B's ever-growing feet. (She is a foot shorter than I am and wears the same shoe size. But I digress.)


Cut to last week. The scene: Ruth's living room. I have dropped by to show her the yarn for my Knitting Olympics sweater. I describe to her the design I have in mind: a lot of different ribbings side by side, done in different shades of purple. In the middle of this I start to laugh, because Ruth is getting a look on her face, a look that says "no wonder you never finish a sweater." I protest: there will be no intarsia cables, no vines, no flowers, no intricate patterning, just a few simple ribbings. I cannot wait to start swatching, I say. Ruth nods, skeptical look in place.

Cut to last weekend. The first swatch is done, and all I have to do is figure out how many stitches I have to play with, chart the final arrangement of ribs, and do a second swatch for that. I love my swatch. I love it even more the first time I see it in sunlight. I picture the whole sweater, and I want to wear it everywhere.

ribbing swatchBut, at this point, Reality raises her head. "Do you really think you can do this in 16 days?" she asks. I think about all the color switching -- I could do the sleeves in the main color, after all, but still -- and I start figuring how much I would have to knit each day to finish in time, blocked and all. I wonder if I would hate that gorgeous deep purply blue before I was done.

And I remember that I know a charming baby boy for whom I have inexplicably failed to knit anything whatsoever, and that I have some great baby sweater patterns, and some lovely light-blue wool in my stash.

That Reality is so sensible. I hate people like that.

4 Comments:

  • Wow. Such socks. Absolutely lovely -- and anti pattern as you are, couldja please give the rest of us a break and write this one down? I wanna do it in green. I can't do my own designing for the life of me. Did you see Eunnyknits chart of the 6.25 percent of the shawl she'd have to knit each day to finish on time? Any good at math?

    By Blogger Annie, at 10:49 PM  

  • the SOCKS. They are so spiffy. Shiny even. Bravo!

    By Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn, at 11:30 PM  

  • That's some fancy-pants knittin' you've been doing. Intarsia/cable hybrid on those socks? Wowee!

    By Blogger Beth S., at 3:29 PM  

  • ah, the Socks that Never End ... beautiful as always.

    I didn't mean to rain on your cabling parade, but you know ... the Olympics only last for two weeks. During which you do have to sleep (eating may be optional). The baby sweater sounds lovely.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home