Rhymes With Fuchsia

Monday, March 10, 2008

Spate

It rained pretty much all day Saturday, the downpour slacking a bit now and then but never stopping. The town went so far as to put out an automated phone message warning of flooding and providing sandbags to residents who needed them. Luckily we live on a hill, and we've never had a drop of water in the basement even during the worst flooding. (There was the time the water heater died in spectacular fashion, but we couldn't blame that on Mother Nature.)

Sunday dawned bright and chilly and blustery, and I went down the hill to the conservation land to see what the brook was doing.


The walkway that normally spans a boggy place had been rendered useless, so I walked down to the nearest bridge, wondering if it would be passable.


It was, but only just. All the little rocky islands were fully submerged.


As I stood there admiring the torrent, a flash of motion caught my eye.


There isn't a whole lot to go on here, I realize (click to embiggen), but does anyone know what kind of critter this is? Watching it move on land, I thought something weaselish. It can swim, and it doesn't seem to mind cold water.


The rocks at the end of the bridge that are normally high and dry had become a very small waterfall.


A whirlpool spun between the rocks.


This was as close as I ever got to my Thoughtful Spot. It's the biggish rock near the center of the picture; I'd never seen the path to it under more than a couple of inches of water, and I wasn't about to risk a chilly dip.


In the summer this will be a small stream meandering between forests of marsh grass. I once saw an owl in the big dead tree — and heard it, too. They can make quite a racket when they feel like it.


This tree seemed to be uninhabited. I wonder who used to live there.

I hope you enjoyed the nature walk, and that your feet are nice and dry. Mine got a bit damp, but it was worth it, especially as I didn't actually fall in.

12 Comments:

  • looks like a river otter to me! Nice spot!!
    Denise
    Knitchat.com

    By Blogger Sorka, at 12:18 AM  

  • I hate to even say it but could it be a fisher cat? They are bad news.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 6:55 AM  

  • I'm not native to the area but it does look like a fishercat to me as well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal)

    By Blogger Julie, at 8:51 AM  

  • There are (good news/bad news) fisher cats in MA. And they are nasty little buggers, completely fearless. I watched one try to take on a great blue heron. The GBH flew off after teasing the fisher cat for a bit. Usually nocturnal.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:02 AM  

  • Oh, what a lovely, lovely walk. With sunshine after the storms, even. And mystery critters scampering through the snow. You are getting to be quite the nature photographer.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:33 AM  

  • I think it's a fisher cat too :( Nasty little things they are.

    By Blogger Witchypoo, at 10:39 AM  

  • No otters in Massachusetts... it's definitely a fisher cat... very nasty critter.

    By Blogger Mini, at 11:03 AM  

  • Lovely photos. Isn't it nice to live up on the hill and keep your feet dry?

    By Blogger Alwen, at 11:15 AM  

  • I spotted a fisher in my neighborhood last year, right around this time, and was simply amazed to find one so close to the city. But we have a wild turkey too, so maybe it shouldn't be so surprising.

    I hope yours was actually an otter. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 AM  

  • I'm guessing fisher cat. They're eeeeeeeeeevil.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 2:16 PM  

  • I'd say fisher too. They walk all kind of humpy (how's that, Conan?). At one time my db (different guy than dh) hit one and killed it, and because we were all into the tanning idea, he brought it home and skinned it. Our dark auburn kitty played with its paws, and would sit with one between her feet, and it would look like she had THREE feet!

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 9:28 PM  

  • Quite lovely! I like higher water tables for the vegetation. Maybe it won't be such a nasty summer this year.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home