Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Zilch

Well, I was going to write about the rain we had yesterday and show you some pix of our friendly local brook, which at the moment looks more like a small river. Blogger, however, has other ideas, so I'll have to come up with something else. The pressure is killing me.

Aha! In the nick (as it were) of time, I remember what Lobachevsky taught me: don't agonize, plagiarize!* I just had to answer interview questions for Miss B's "adolescence" class, so I will run this one up the flagpole and see who salutes it:

Do you think adolescence is harder now than when you went through it? Why or why not?

Maybe I'll have pix for you tomorrow.
____________________________________________________
*Props (but no yarn, sorry) to whoever can identify the cultural reference.

7 Comments:

  • No. More coddling. More choices made for you. More time out available at the end of it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:29 AM  

  • Is adolescence harder today? No. Hell is hell. Everyone gets a unique experience. Hormone surges make the emotions and brain functions completely erratic. People become genuinely and irrationally hypersensitive and can't help going off in what they know to be unacceptable ways, and then have to suffer the consequences for behavior they felt powerless to control.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:05 AM  

  • I think it's much harder
    - more violence
    - less independence

    There also seems a lot of anger, and rage and kids seem so much more disrespectful to each other.

    By Blogger Witchypoo, at 10:31 AM  

  • I don't think it's necessarily harder. But, I think with all of the shifts in how we use technology (cell phones, email, texting, social network sites, tv/film, etc.) a lot of things are felt both more immediately and more widely, which makes hurtful things hurt more intensely. But, on the plus side, maybe it's easier to forget more quickly, as other dramas replace yesterday's news?

    By Blogger Danielle, at 11:24 AM  

  • Let no one else's work evade your eyes!... ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:30 PM  

  • I am a Philistine, so don't get cultural references... now non-cultural references, some of those I get. Anyhow, I think it's harder now... Much more information comes in front of them; young kids, especially girls, are 'sexualized' earlier by popular images; boundaries are often less clear; the drugs seem worse (hopefully a little less available, but who can say?); more violent images all around; more sex all around; more people all around (which I believe leads to the sort of behaviour you see when there are too many rats in a closed environment); everything seems faster...

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 7:13 PM  

  • That's got to be Tom Lehrer.

    By Blogger Kim, at 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home