Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Protective Custody

It's a good thing my boss didn't choose the wrong moment to stop by my cubicle yesterday: I would have had to explain why I was sitting there alternately smiling and sniffling. You guys are all awesome, and I'm lucky to have such great friends.

I sort of wimped out on a major part of what I was trying to say, though. I'm more selfish than I like to let on: little as I want to shortchange any of the wonderful people in my life, even less do I want to shortchange me. If I stay inside all the time, I'll never get rained on, but I'll never see the sun either, and as was all too rightly pointed out to me yesterday, keeping myself on a tight leash is just another form of control-freakery. So I'm trying to get to some kind of balance, to lengthen that tether a bit. You all help a lot.

All right, already, with the pop psych. In among all this introspection, believe it or not, I've been productive lately. I finished Kay's socks and met Kay for dinner so she could try them on; having seen that they fit, I can now weave the ends in.


I started and finished a Dulaan hat. Only four more items to finish by June 15: I think even I can manage that. I've already begun a pair of Magic 28 socks.

I bought and actually planted some herbs. In addition to basil and thyme, I talked myself into a catnip plant, even though we've had trouble with catnip in the past: it generally gets obliterated before it has a prayer of being big enough to resist easy destruction. This time I managed to come up with a solution.


The cats could easily jump in with it, but they seem confused by the wire mesh. It's strong enough to keep them out, but too frail for them to want to climb on. So far, so good.

The other day I came outside to find Miss B sitting next to Achilles, who was writhing and rolling on the grass. "You gave him catnip, didn't you?" I said.
"Um, yes," she said, "how did you know?"

10 Comments:

  • Friends help each other...it's give and take...you're a great pal to have and very generous, too. I didn't really take you for a cat torturer, however. ;-)

    By Blogger margene, at 11:51 AM  

  • I read your blog yesterday but life was too nutty to comment and now it's today. I send you *hugs* though and hope you feel better.

    it's a lot on your plate. Vent if you need to, I think that's what community is here for, not just the easy stuff.

    By Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn, at 12:23 PM  

  • You didn't knit that entire (stranded, smallish gauge) hat in one day, did you?

    One day when I was a kid, I thought it would be fun to make a hanging catnip toy for our Charlotte to bat at. I put the catnip in a little cloth bag and hung it from a branch of the dogwood tree in the front yard. In the middle of the night a (loud, angry) kerfuffle broke out as various neighborhood felines congregated under the tree hoping for a whack at it. At the time, this was not funny.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:27 PM  

  • That catnip cage is a hoot! I'm just catching up...remember what the airplane attendents tell us...take care of yourself first before you can take care of somebody else. I think hospice says the same thing...so never feel guilty for wanting/needing/taking your own time. You're an amazing mom!

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 2:30 PM  

  • that hat is beautiful, Great job.

    By Blogger WandaWoman, at 2:42 PM  

  • You sound much better already. :-)

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 2:49 PM  

  • knitzu beat me to it - if you don't take care of yourself first, you will not be properly able to take care of anyone else. That's not being selfish at all.

    Now as for the catnip cage...we used to have a cat that would've jumped in, but never figured a way out....LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:10 PM  

  • Love, love, love the caged catnip! And Miss B. You give the cat drugs, he acts all stony, and you can't figure how Mom can tell what you did? Ah, youth!

    That hat is awsesome!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:46 AM  

  • Thanks for stopping by the blog to say welcome. Was unfamiliar with yours until today. Is Taz your son? Your pet?

    Whatever was going on, I am glad you got through it in one piece and are doing better today.

    Blessings be upon your catnip-pushing head!

    By Blogger Susan Pandorf, at 5:22 PM  

  • You NEVER/EVER have to apologize for your feelings. I'm just sorry I missed your post and didn't get to send a virtual hug. oxoxo

    By Blogger Carol, at 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home