Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, May 11, 2007

Eye Candy Friday: Tulipville

I haven't had the best luck with tulips. The first year, I get beautiful flowers corresponding to the number of bulbs I planted; the second year, leaves, with maybe one flower; the third year, wait, didn't I plant tulips here? From what I understand, one must feed tulips at exactly the right moment, dig them up when they're done blooming, store the bulbs at precisely the right refrigerated temperature until the autumn, plant them and feed them again, and hope the deer don't get them and the weather is up to their specifications. For my part, I have better things to do than cater to the Lindsay Lohans of the bulb world, but the landscapers employed by the office park where I work have it down to a science, except that I think they just throw the bulbs away and plant new ones in the fall. In any event, I have to admit that the results are spectacular. They have rose-pink tulips...


yellow striped tulips...


mutant tulips...


a veritable panoply of red tulips...


including some for the delectation of Gymnast Dude.


We are not sure how Gymnast Dude got into a suburban office park inhabited by outposts of various financial-services firms. At least he has the tulips to keep him company. (In case you are wondering, no, he is not wearing anything, and yes, he is anatomically correct, in a sketchy sort of way. He also suffers from macrocephaly, but it doesn't seem to bother him.)

5 Comments:

  • Wow! What fun. Lovely color! I want to use gymnast-dude for a bench and loll in the sunshine on his back!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:31 AM  

  • Tulips are not hard to grow, at least not in my garden. I am currently overwhelmed by the number. I don't dig them up or anything. What I do is to wait until the bloom is well past. I pull just the stalk once it pulls easily. Don't tug too hard or the bulb comes up. Leave the green foliage and remove them only when they start to turn brown. Mine divide like math scholars and bloom every spring.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:53 AM  

  • Now is his big because it is too big for his body, or does he have an over-high opinion of his gymnastic abilities? Nice tulips! I have old red ones. That have been coming up yellow over the years. I've heard them referred to as the 'lipstick' of the garden, but since I'm not a big makeup person, the analogy is kinda lost on me! I do get your analogy though.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 5:43 PM  

  • That is a yoga pose of which I could never do nor can I remember the name of it. LOL

    By Blogger Janice, at 6:17 PM  

  • COOL you have naked men at work??? Where do I sign up for that?

    By Blogger Ann, at 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home