Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Just As I Suspected

When I asked the question, what do you expect from a pattern?, I was hoping that you would all say, "Just give me the charts, I don't care about anything else." And indeed several of you did, while a few expressed a preference for the old-fashioned "k1, p2, ssk, yo..." style, but the majority opinion by far was that a pattern should have both.

The truth is that I feel the same way. I sometimes find charts confusing, especially when stitches are appearing and disappearing at a great rate, or when they're really, really small. (Yes, I know I can blow them up, but it would be nice if they were a reasonable size to begin with. Memo to a certain designer from a certain very specific part of the British Isles that must not be named except by said designer: I'm thinking of you.) And, conversely, I don't really want to wade through 50 or more sts of "k1, p2, etc." when a chart would be easier to read.

I've learned from writing out patterns why so many of them come in chart form only these days: the written instructions are a real pain to do, and it's easy to get lost and leave out a stitch, or add an extra one. Still, they're clearly needed. And here is an excellent opportunity to extend my public and heartfelt thanks to Jess, who was kind enough to proofread the lace scarf pattern and make sure that at least the instructions matched the charts.

So there you have it: all my patterns will continue to have both charts and written instructions.

That leaves one more piece of business to take care of.

Nicole aka ikkinlala, c'mon down!

I'll put your yarn in the mail tomorrow.


(What the heck does this picture have to do with anything? you may be asking. Nothing at all: I just really like it and don't feel like waiting around to post it until next Friday or Saturday.)

8 Comments:

  • I really like it too! Folded buds are so sexy!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:41 AM  

  • Those buds are rather... fuchsia, are't they? So no explanations necessary. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:02 PM  

  • I'm with you on written pattern and charts! Nice buds babe. (!) You are clearly a couple weeks ahead of us.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 3:54 PM  

  • Oh, the buds are fuchsia! (Thanks Beth S!)

    How's Ed doing?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 PM  

  • I adore the picture. I avoid patterns as much as possible. What I want out of a pattern is for the writer to anticipate the quirks of my brain and make the pattern seamlessly accessible to me specifically. Not very helpful or likely, I know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 PM  

  • I agree that most people probably won't both. I'm a bit old-fashioned and while I can read charts okay, I tend to prefer the written instructions, but I do like the charts, just for options. Thanks for the supportive comments on my blog. Definitely appreciated.

    By Blogger WandaWoman, at 10:21 PM  

  • Yay for both! Beautiful photo btw!

    By Blogger Carol, at 4:18 PM  

  • Glad to help!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home