Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, May 11, 2007

Saturday Sky: You Say You Want a Revolution

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April's breeze unfurled,
Where once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.



I got to go on Miss B's field trip to the Old North Bridge on Wednesday, part of their unit on Colonial and Revolutionary War history. Since I grew up nearby, I went on plenty of such field trips myself, but I made the pleasant discovery this week that I'm no longer surfeited by the mere mention of Paul Revere or the Minutemen. (The original Minutemen are of course not to be confused with the latter-day version.)


One thing that I didn't know or had forgotten was that this burial plot for the first two British soldiers killed in the Revolution was given to the UK by the US government so that the soldiers could lie in British soil. There's a little piece of England right here in Massachusetts.


Kay's socks admired the view from the bridge. They've taken me much longer than they should have, but they're really truly almost done.

Off to NH shortly. Hope to see you there.

4 Comments:

  • What a glorious day for a field trip! Thanks for bringing us along. And how enthralled those socks look with that view from the bridge! Socks certainly do like to get out and about, don't they?

    Have a slpendid time in NH and take pictures please.

    By Blogger roxie, at 10:37 AM  

  • That's pretty neat about the burial plot.

    By Blogger Kris, at 10:10 AM  

  • A little piece of England right here? Very cool. I'd never heard that. But then again I grew up right on the NJ side of Philadelphia, so I spent all my class trips at the Franklin Institute and/or Independence Hall. ;-)

    Wish we could've fondled some fiber together in NH. I feel like I hardly saw you at all!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:51 PM  

  • Very cool piece of history there. I grew up in Philly and we got to go on some really nice field trips. A shame I was too immature to appreciate it.

    By Blogger Carol, at 2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home