Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, May 04, 2007

Eye Candy Friday: Woodland Walk

The woods are finally beginning to bloom. I saw my first wild violets today.


These tiny violets are the only ones I know of that smell, and they do a great job of it.


Most of the bellworts are just beginning to unfurl their leaves, but this one is ahead of its time. Intrepid gnat investigates.


I don't actually know what these are, do you? Some relative of the wild strawberry, I think.


I love the wood anemones.


The purple violets aren't so much wild as feral, but I had to throw them in because they're, well, purple. I wonder if their white cousin feels like the odd one out.

I hope you enjoyed the walk. If I do this more often I can watch the whole parade of spring wildflowers.

4 Comments:

  • Bloglines dumped you off my blogroll! I thought you were very quiet and then I realized no, I wasn't seeing you anymore. *sigh*

    Er. Hi. Yes, I am oblivious.

    I'm glad you still post pictures of nature.

    By Blogger Will Pillage For Yarn, at 12:03 AM  

  • Oh boy! I get to enjoy the start of spring all over again! Thanks for sharing. It's my favorite time of year.

    By Blogger roxie, at 10:41 AM  

  • I think they are wild geranium, 'Geranium maculatum'. The leaf shape looks right (if those two flowers go with all of those leaves). Do you know the old time song 'Sweet Violets'? 'Sweeeet vi-oh-lets, sweeter than all the roses, covered all over, from head to toes, covered all over in, sweeeet vi-oh-lets' (can ya hear it?)

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 11:29 AM  

  • I've never even heard of bellwort! It sounds like something you use in Potions class. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home