Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Geometric Increase

Some time ago at Wednesday night knitting group I was talking about making squares for the Pine Street Inn Knit-a-Thon, and my friend Martha asked if I could use some spare yarn she had. Well, of course I could; one thing I love about the Knit-a-Thon is that it requires nine-inch squares. That's it. They can be any color, any fiber, any pattern, knit or crocheted, solid or lacy. I knew I could use the yarn, and I could always make a square here, a square there, put some of it to good use, sometime between now and November. So, about three or four weeks ago, Martha showed up with two large bags of acrylic yarn, containing, among other things, eight skeins of Lion Brand Homespun.


I don't know what came over me. Well, I do: the truth is that I am in a knitting funk. I have one project that I absolutely have to get cracking on, but it requires thought, and I hate that. And I have any number of projects floating around the back of my mind, but they all seem rather shy, and none of them has wanted to come up to the front yet.

So I decided that at least some good should come of this state of affairs. I have 27 squares, with #28 in progress. This is more squares than I've ever made for one KAT before, and I have almost six months to go. A blanket comprising 35 squares, five by seven, at this rate I could have quite a pile to take with me in November.

Of course I believe this amazing square productivity to be a temporary phenomenon. But I'm still thinking at least two blankets. Maybe three.

4 Comments:

  • Well, don't look a gift spurt of productivity in the mouth! You can't get your mojo back just by wishing for it, after all.

    By Blogger ccr in MA, at 4:52 PM  

  • Lion Brand Homespun goes so fast! And crochet goes so fast. And granite stitch goes so fast. thirty five squares to a blanket? You're a lock, kiddo. Why don't you make strips instead of squares?

    By Blogger roxie, at 6:23 PM  

  • Look't you, all these posts!

    By Blogger Lisa/knitnzu, at 8:59 PM  

  • amazing what you can get done when you're procrastinating, eh? ;)

    By Blogger Lene Andersen, at 11:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home