Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fear of Plying: Laceweight Edition


Did I mention that I finally finished spinning the Eternal Blue Merino? I don't think I did. Sorry about that. Well, I finished spinning it, and I decided that since I'm a relative novice at plying and I've never plied laceweight, I would wait for spinning group to begin. Being a bit nervous about it because the laceweight is very thin — well, of course it is, otherwise it wouldn't be laceweight, but in places it's even thinner than that, and I don't know what to do if I break a single while plying, other than sit in a corner and cry — I thought it best to try it in the company of accomplished spinners who might be able to give me a few pointers on keeping it from happening in the first place and recovering if it still did. I was really looking forward to spinning group last night.

Until Grant drove us into our driveway, and such a huge wave of relief and contentment at being home swept over me that I knew I was going nowhere but through my kitchen door, not to emerge again before sunrise. Our sitter had even made lentil soup (I had done some of the prep before leaving for work); so domestic was I feeling that while Grant and Miss B ran a quick errand I made biscuits. (I used a mix. There are limits.)

So, my accomplished readers, have you ever plied laceweight? How did it go? Did your single break? What did you do then?

6 Comments:

  • Of course, I've plied lace weight. There are times when it's even gone well. ;^)

    You'll be fine. It's just plying and it's just yarn. Don't panic if something happens. No one will die. I promise.

    xo

    By Blogger Cookie, at 3:01 PM  

  • If your single breaks, just slap the loose end over where it broke, and ply on. It probably won't even show in the finished yarn. You are an amazon of manifold skills and strengths, and it's OK if your single breaks now and then.

    I know that visceral joy of being home. You did the right thing to stay home and make biscuits.

    By Blogger roxie, at 3:36 PM  

  • Keep a knuckle between the two plies and just keep an eye out for corkscrews. Your singles look great, they should ply without drama.

    By Blogger joan, at 4:07 PM  

  • My plies only break when I'm doing a Navajo ply. Otherwise, smooth sailing... Good luck. My breath is baited...

    By Anonymous Ann, at 5:27 PM  

  • I know nothing about plying, though of course I wish you luck and am sure it will work out. But I just wanted to say that I so understand that homecoming feeling, and you did the right thing by heeding its call.

    By Blogger ccr in MA, at 6:36 PM  

  • Would be happy to help. What Roxie said is a good start. Go slowly (meaning pulling out the singles. Use a tensioned Kate.

    By Anonymous Laurie, at 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home