Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

Ten Things to Love About Fall



  1. Changing leaves. The brilliant reds and oranges are glorious, of course, but, as you see, even the more muted colors can catch the eye.
  2. Golden light. There's something about the light of evening at this time of year. It happens in the spring, too, but not as noticeably. Maybe all the leaves magnify the effect.
  3. The kids are back in school. In the summer Taz is in summer school part of the time, but on a different schedule from regular school, Miss B is away at camp part of the time, and we're away on vacation part of the time. Much as I love summer, it's nice to get back into a more consistent routine.
  4. Apples. Picking them, baking them, eating them.
  5. Changing clothes. A couple of weeks ago I unearthed some cold-weather clothes I had almost forgotten. It's like a new wardrobe I didn't have to shop for.
  6. Halloween. I love carving pumpkins and seeing all the costumes and handing out candy. Apparently at least in some respects I never grew up.
  7. Thanksgiving. I love making dinner with all the traditional dishes and baking and quality family time. See Halloween.
  8. Pie. See Thanksgiving, also apples, although it is not just apple but pecan and pumpkin and even Key lime pie (a favorite of my favorite men, season in, season out).
  9. Holiday knitting. As the daylight retreats and the air chills I can feel the brainchildren unborn stirring within me. It's an incredible rush, quite different from the Hitchcockian terror that inevitably ensues as deadline projects first circle and then descend, beaks extended.
  10. Pine Street Inn Knit-a-Thon. My getting to Rhinebeck this year is looking doubtful, but I wouldn't miss the PSIKAT for the world. This year it's at the State House. Yes, the thing with the gold dome. Want to come? You can join Team Flaky, in honor of pie crust, among other things.

3 Comments:

  • Team Flaky, I'll be there in spirit. Knit on!!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:26 AM  

  • Your list would overlap mine by a lot. I love the Thanksgiving ritual, even if I do have to cook for days. (Mr. E chains me to the cooktop and the oven.)

    By Anonymous Laurie, at 6:57 AM  

  • Loved your comment about the light... it's one of my favorites, too!

    By Anonymous Allison, at 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home