Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

Ten Ways to Have Fun on Halloween

achilles_wheel_c

It just dawned on me that I'm going to miss Ten on Tuesday if I don't get myself in gear. Lately all my gears have been moving very slowly due to a nasty cold, but I'll do my best.
  1. Carve pumpkins. These days some pretty amazing pumpkin templates are available online. I prefer the old-fashioned jack o'lantern myself, but then I am... old-fashioned.
  2. The day after Halloween, chuckle evilly as you cannibalize the pumpkins for pie.
  3. Buy too much candy you like. When half of it is still there at the end of trick-or-treating, sigh heavily and say you might as well eat it, don't want it to go to waste. I try to pursue the opposite strategy of buying popular candy that I don't happen to like, but you never know when something may jump into your cart. Oddly enough I have the same problem with a certain online yarn vendor. (There was no chance that I wasn't going to link that. Really now.)
  4. Bake cookies. A couple of months ago I happened across a bat cookie cutter, and promptly bought it, of course. If this cold stops kicking me around I may actually use it.
  5. Change one detail of your appearance, such as the location of the part in your hair, and watch people squint at you as they try to figure out what's different.
  6. Wear something orange, especially if you never wear orange. This is more difficult if, like me, you don't own anything orange.
  7. Sing along with "Monster Mash" really loud whenever it comes on the radio, especially while driving your teenager and her friends to a party.
  8. Create a soundtrack of scary noises, such as creaks, groans, bloodcurdling shrieks, and political commercials.
  9. Train your black cat to assist you in greeting trick-or-treaters. This is easier (but not much) if you have at least one black cat.
  10. Wear an odd getup that may or may not be a costume. Smile mysteriously when people ask what you're supposed to be.

2 Comments:

  • Wear something orange? Brilliant! I have an orange button. I'll sew it onto a safety pin. Halloween jewelry.

    I'm putting little plastic snakes in my hair and slipping into the sweet old grandmother persona.

    Hope the cold abates soon. Have you tried drugs?

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:29 AM  

  • I resisted the fancy pumpkins until I had a kid. Now I am but the Carver - he is the Planner.

    By Blogger Alwen, at 7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home