Rhymes With Fuchsia

Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Little Light Reading


One of my favorite new(ish) books didn't make my summer reading list because I've already read it — several times, in fact. I'm referring to Home Is Where the Wine Is, the second book by Laurie Perry, aka Crazy Aunt Purl. If you haven't read it, and you have a little beach time left in your summer, I highly recommend it. If your beach season has already flown, I apologize; I've been meaning to write this review for a while, and one thing and another, yata yata — yet I still recommend it: it's as tasty, bubbly and satisfying as fondue by the fire on a chilly evening. Truly, it is a book for all seasons.

If you read Laurie's blog, you know she's a gifted storyteller, able to take you for a walk in her shoes even if you've never tried to operate space-age exercise equipment or become one with a slightly overcrowded universe. I've never dated online, and after reading about Laurie's exploits in that arena, I have no such desire. (Grant will be thrilled to hear this.) She does have some hilarious tales to tell, however.

I would be remiss not to mention the patterns in the back. There are several by The Crochet Dude, including one for a flip-flop wine coaster that I may try as the holidays get closer. There's a terrific evening bag by Myra Wood. There's an I-cord braided rug.

And... there is one of mine. It's a small but extremely useful item for the home, it's a bit outside my usual repertoire, shall we say, and that's all I'll tell you about it, except that it's on page 193. (OK, you can find a picture of it on Ravelry too.)

Go forth and read!

7 Comments:

  • If I buy the book, do you get a comission?

    By Blogger roxie, at 6:39 PM  

  • Added the book to my Amazon cart (darned library failed me on this one; maybe I'll donate my copy when I'm done) and checked out your Rav link. Glad to see someone consider that particular appliance to be deserving of its own knitted garment.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:25 PM  

  • Cannot stop laughing. Lucia, you dark horse.

    By Blogger Carol, at 10:13 AM  

  • I bought that book a while ago, kind of lost it (I knew it was somewhere, I just couldn't remember where!), found it & am now reading it. I LOVE Crazy Aunt Purl! I don't have the book here with me (I'm at work - shhh!) so I can't check out page 193...is it the Lonely Hearts Personal Massager Bag??? ;-)

    Something that made me think of you today - I'm reading about Huguette Clark. Her sister died at Rangeley Lake (you know I have the lake on my brain every year when you post about it - I go online, look for a lake house, dream of "some day" when I can take a vacation & rent a lake house...).

    By Blogger Unknown, at 11:07 AM  

  • Wonder if it's on audio?

    ANd congrats on the pattern inclusion!

    By Blogger Lene Andersen, at 2:58 PM  

  • Very cool! I remember you said something like that....and now I have to find out the published finish.

    By Anonymous Laurie, at 7:04 AM  

  • I love Crazy Aunt Purl! How cool that your pattern is in there.

    By Blogger Alwen, at 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home