Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, August 13, 2010

Free-Association Friday


For all who admired (for suitable definitions) yesterday's picture, I should add that the young man appeared quite competent at his daredevil exploit; it was clearly not his first time. The cliff there is not more than 20 feet high (with very deep water below), and I don't imagine that jumping therefrom is any more dangerous than going off the high diving board at your local pool. We even let Miss B do it — although, like most people who try it, she did a plain jump, and we wouldn't have countenanced anything else. The really crazy people are the ones who jump maybe 40 feet into smaller pools; believe it or not, I caught one of these completely by accident while just trying to get a nice picture of the falls. The guy in midair (the blurry one to the right of the group) is probably about halfway down.
______________________________________________________


In between pix of crazy people I got a nice butterfly shot. Can anyone name this species?
______________________________________________________




I finally managed to get some halfway decent loon pictures, after at least ten years of trying. I will confess that I bought a superzoom camera not for the sole purpose of becoming a loon paparazza, but definitely with it in mind. For every picture here there was at least one loon dive just as I was focusing.
______________________________________________________


I also got a better merganser picture. The mergansers are shyer than the mallards (who, as you know if you've been here for a while, given proper incentive will walk right up and say howdy), but considerably less swimoffish than the loons.
______________________________________________________


And, of course, thank heaven for little gulls.

4 Comments:

  • "... they throw up in the most unusual way."

    Thank you for assuaging my fears about that young daredevil. A good deep pool is a comfort to us nervous nellies. You even let Miss B take the plunge? But- but - what will you hold out for her 21st birthday if you let her have such thrills now? ;-)

    Great photos!

    Are there loons in Loch Ness? There is a certain resemblence . . .

    By Blogger roxie, at 5:50 PM  

  • Mourning cloak butterfly. I googled to be certain, but I was pretty sure when I saw it.

    Looks like you are having a lot of fun with your camera -- thanks for sharing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:39 PM  

  • Beautiful butterfly, and I love, love, love loons!

    By Anonymous Joy, at 8:57 PM  

  • well you could try a cannonball? It's supposed to be a safe way to go into the water.

    By Blogger Lisa/knitnzu, at 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home