Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

Ten Favorite Children's Books
  1. Where the Wild Things Are. This has been Taz's favorite book since he could express a preference, and for quite a while now Grant, Miss B and I have all been able to recite the text verbatim, singly or in combination.
  2. Winnie-The-Pooh. I much prefer the original books, which are quite different from the Disneyed-up videos and stories. I can see why Disney made some of the changes, since some things work much better in print than on film, but that doesn't prevent me from yelling at the screen, "No, that's not how it goes!" every time I see a video.
  3. Heidi. To this day I cannot read Heidi without a tissue handy, especially the part where she gets back home to her grandfather. Yes, I am a sentimental idiot. (It doesn't help that on first reading it I immediately identified a candidate for the role of FraĆ¼lein Rottenmeier.)
  4. Anne of Green Gables and its sequels.
  5. The Nutshell Library, another Sendak masterpiece, or rather set of four small masterpieces, Alligators All Around, Chicken Soup with Rice, One Was Johnny, and Pierre. Such is Sendak's genius that I didn't notice the educational content, which usually sticks out like a sore thumb hey I am teaching you something and you will like it until I reread them to my sister.
  6. The Tailor of Gloucester, imho the best of all the Beatrix Potter books. NO MORE TWIST
  7. Click Clack Moo! Cows That Type. While you will have gathered by now that I prefer the classics, or at least books that have survived a couple of generations, I make an exception for this one: it's a newie but a goodie.
  8. The Phantom Tollbooth. If you don't know this one, get it out of the library and read it to your kids, or someone else's kids. Or to yourself.
  9. A Little Princess and The Secret Garden. Yes, they are hokey and full of, um, antiquated attitudes. I will confess to loving them anyway, passing over the attitudes with a quick wince.
  10. Captain Underpants and the Perilous Plot of Professor Poopypants. Yes, really. The rest of the CU books are fun too, but this one involves audience participation. Go here, follow the directions, and then come back and tell me your silly name. Booger Wafflefanny, at your service.

What are yours?

9 Comments:

  • Booger Diaperchunks. Thanks very much.

    Heidi. Sigh. Love that book!

    By Blogger Lene Andersen, at 7:06 PM  

  • I still have my original Winnie the Pooh books with the crayon backwards J where I was learning to write my name. I'm definitely an original Pooh fan. Mom made me some Pooh character stuffed animals and I just found (and promptly bought) the vintage pattern online. I even have a couple old record albums with some news dude reading the stories. When I commented about how I was sad I'd lost those a few years ago my brother realized he had them and mailed them out to me. That would have to be top of my list were I a meme type person. :)

    By Blogger Julie, at 8:46 AM  

  • I'm learning things.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 12:37 PM  

  • A lot of our favorites are on your list! I think the only one we haven't read is The Nutshell Library.

    -Stinky Chucklebuns

    By Blogger Alwen, at 12:45 PM  

  • Yes! Yes! Click Clack Moo! I forgot about that one.

    By Blogger Carol, at 5:35 PM  

  • Crusty Chucklepants here: Nice to meet you too, Lucia. I must admit to having a soft spot for The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and The Pie and the Patty-pan, but they are personal favorites. I don't think I would call them the BEST, just sentimental for me. Like your list; it is inspiring.

    By Blogger Gramily, at 7:34 PM  

  • ooooh, and I forgot to say that the nutshell library was such a hit in one of my first grade classrooms (in Brookline, MA), we put on a play of Pierre, whose moral is clear. I will NEVER get the tune to chicken soup with rice out of my head....not that I'd try.

    By Blogger Gramily, at 7:37 PM  

  • Poopsie Pizzatushie. Now I'm going to have to get the Captain Underpants books for my granddaughter!
    I also like the original Pooh books.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:06 PM  

  • Snotty Livertush.

    Wow. I think my favorite from your list is the Little Princess. It is hokey, but I love it anyway!

    By Blogger Seanna Lea, at 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home