Rhymes With Fuchsia

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Fleeceless in Cummington

So, Cummington.

Eight years ago, I think it was, I went to Cummington with Miss B for the second time. After that I never managed to get back there; I wanted to, but something else always seemed to be going on; I nearly pulled it off a couple of times, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. So when I finally did make it last weekend, I was determined to make the most of it. Which I did.


I can't help lloving the llamas.


Piglets! So cute! I almost wanted to take one home.


Goatlets! So cute! I did want to take one home.


Big-time camera ham.


This lady had all the colors of the rainbow gloriously displayed, and wore them all on her person as well. Her patterns and her yarn were seriously tempting.


I loved the sheep...


with and without robes...


...and the judging. Showing a sheep is no small trick. I know I couldn't have done nearly as well as these kids. I definitely wanted one of each — the sheep, that is, I have enough trouble keeping track of my own kids. Or, if I couldn't have a sheep, at least some of their lovely wool.



Are you noticing a theme here? Yes, I am on a serious yarn and fiber diet, due partly to unexpected and ongoing house repairs and partly to, well, having a lot of yarn and fiber. In an attempt to distract myself from all the fiber goodies I watched an impromptu spin-off, won by the lovely and talented Lynn. (Lynn has many more splendid sheep and people photos. I was camnesic for most of the day: I had it with me, I just forgot to use it.) The measuring turned into something between a game of twister and a maypole dance. This all occurred right next to the Holiday Yarns booth, where I had already narrowly escaped purchasing Lisa's amazing sock kits.

I didn't buy a single thing all day, except food (the sweet-potato fries were awesome), but somehow I left feeling satisfied.

This weekend: Fiber Frolic! Hey, I resisted temptation at NH and MA; how hard can one more festival be? Oh, hush.

3 Comments:

  • Oh, and your maypole dances are joyous madness. (I used the image of that glorious chaos in the final chapter of my fourth Sanna novel. Now, if I can come up with $2000, I can get it published.)

    Looks like a delightful session of window shopping. Good for you!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:25 AM  

  • The sheep and the friends are the best reasons to go to any fiber festival. Who needs to buy anything? Nice pictures!

    By Blogger margene, at 10:17 AM  

  • sheep with robes? Some sort of secret sheep order?

    By Blogger Lene Andersen, at 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home