Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

Today's ToT is ten favorite musicals, which I've been having great fun contemplating as I barely avoid bursting into full-throated song in my cubicle, not a good career move. I've always wished I lived in the world of a musical, where everything rhymes and everyone can sing, and does, spontaneously, whenever the urge strikes. In real life, sadly, I can carry only the simplest tune, and that not too far, and if ever I forget myself my family quotes, or rather shouts, Monty Python at me:

No! No singing!

Sigh. But I can hum. Very, very quietly. You're welcome to join in. Here we go, in approximate chronological order:

Ten Favorite Musicals
  1. The Wizard of Oz. I've seen this as an amateur stage production and, of course, I've seen the movie on TV more times than I can count. Favorite song: "Over the Rainbow."
  2. Brigadoon. It's a good thing my sister was into theater in high school, as otherwise I would probably never have seen Brigadoon. It's goofy, and cheesy, and I love it. Favorite song: "My Mother's Wedding Day" (by circa 1983 even high-school productions included the line "I ought to know, for I was there," which originally had been deemed too racy for some professional venues: ah, those were the days).
  3. West Side Story. If you ask me, this is the finest Shakespeare-based musical ever made. Favorite song: "Somewhere," of course, Streisand version, or any version, really.
  4. The Sound of Music. The plot takes a number of liberties with reality. Who cares? Favorite song: there are too many, but I can't go wrong with the title number. I still know most of the words.
  5. Fiddler on the Roof. My favorite song used to be "If I Were a Rich Man," but, after (more than) 25 years, I'm changing that to "Do You Love Me?"
  6. Man of La Mancha. Carole reminded me of this one, and it's an oldie but a goodie. Favorite song: "Little Bird."
  7. Jesus Christ Superstar. Carole reminded me of this one too. In my early teens I had the music in my head all the time, but I didn't see a production until quite a while later. I'm glad I did. Favorite song: "Simon Zealotes."
  8. Little Shop of Horrors. Favorite song: "Dentist."
  9. Phantom of the Opera. I saw Phantom at the Wang Center about 17 years ago and got to meet one of the cast members who was a friend of my SIL. Favorite song: "Music of the Night."
  10. Wicked. I haven't actually seen this, but Ruth and I listened to the soundtrack, several times, actually, on the way to Rhinebeck last year. Favorite song: "What Is This Feeling?" I hope I do get to see it someday.

What did I miss?

2 Comments:

  • Gilbert and Sullivan!! 'I am the very model of a modern Major General!"

    "Holiday Inn" with Fred Astair and Bing Crosby Oh, heck - anything with Fred Astair.

    South Pacific - "There is nothing like a dame '

    Anything with Gene Kelly.

    Anything with Carmen Miranda. LOVE her hats!!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:51 PM  

  • You are encyclopedic.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home