Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Interesting Times

Today's Ten on Tuesday is ten places that make me happy. Ordinarily I'd have no trouble with this one, but today my happy place has a padlock on the door and a large sign: NO ADMITTANCE.

Since Taz's brain tumor almost twelve years ago, he's had seizures fairly regularly. Most of them have been short, well under a minute (even a few seconds is quite a long time to watch your kid have a seizure, but nothing to alarm a neurologist); one or two have been as long as two minutes. Most of them involve rapid eye movement and facial twitching; some also include jerking movements in some or all extremities.

Three weeks ago Taz had a clean MRI, which is an excellent thing. Since then, however, he's been having seizures of unusual length and with symptoms we haven't seen before. Two weeks ago he had a 14-minute one, and yesterday he had a 20-minute episode that his neurologist believes to have been a seizure even though the presentation was quite different from his typical ones: he went very pale and limp and nonverbal, although he didn't pass out. Earlier this afternoon he had a much shorter one, less than two minutes, which we would ordinarily take in stride except that during it one eye, and only one, rolled back in his head.

His neurologist ordered a blood level on his anticonvulsant, which we will have taken tomorrow morning. Meanwhile I am lying on the bottom of the ocean twitching, a nervous wreck. About all that can be said here is that the worst-case scenario has already been ruled out, but not knowing what we're dealing with is driving me mad. Please send yarn chocolate — on second thought, I have plenty of both of those, they don't seem to be helping — mojo and good thoughts.

16 Comments:

  • Oh, dear. Definitely sending good coping thoughts your way. Pet the yarn, eat the chocolate...

    By Blogger ccr in MA, at 7:02 PM  

  • I can't even imagine. Poor baby, both you and my Tazman.

    Fingers crossed, prayers sent and all my thoughts are with you.

    By Blogger Mini, at 7:03 PM  

  • My thoughts are with you all, my friend. All the mojo I have is headed your way.

    By Blogger Pumpkinmama, at 8:17 PM  

  • 14 minutes? 20? I can't imagine what that's like for you.

    Am sending all the good thoughts I can and will make several of them about chocolate.

    By Blogger Lene Andersen, at 8:23 PM  

  • That would make any parent crazy with worry. {{{hugs}}} to you and Taz.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:22 PM  

  • MAJOR good thoughts and mojo etc coming your way from me!! Hug the person near ya, and the hug you get back is from me..! SEE even virtual hugs!!

    By Blogger Sorka, at 10:41 PM  

  • Good thoughts coming your way. I hope you'll keep us posted.

    By Blogger Julie, at 5:12 AM  

  • Sending thoughts of peace, calm and good mojo for you, Taz and your family...hugs too.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 8:31 AM  

  • Armloads of mojo! Bushels of good thoughts.Poor Taz. Poor you. Holding you both in my thoughts and wishing you lots of uninteresting times.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:08 AM  

  • Lots of mojo headed your way!

    By Blogger Alwen, at 10:27 AM  

  • Sending hugs!

    By Blogger Mrs. E. Redner, at 12:29 PM  

  • Delurking to add my mojo to everyone else's. You'll all be in my thoughts.

    By Blogger Joan, at 4:46 PM  

  • It's times like these that I really wish that my daughter's magic wand worked as well as she pretends. I'd take it and fix everything to spare you all this. That aside, my thoughts are with you.

    By Blogger Carol, at 5:10 PM  

  • Oh goodness. Poor Taz. I hope you get some good and comforting answers soon. Good thoughts and prayers on their way.

    xo

    By Blogger Cookie, at 5:11 PM  

  • Oh. THAT lab. Hoping results look good. And that this is just a passing stage.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 6:10 PM  

  • *hugs* sending lots of good thoughts and mojo.

    By Anonymous Shona B, at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home