Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Old-Fashioned Way

Last winter at SPA Miss B tried a Ladybug in Amy's booth. "Oh, Mom, I really like this wheel," she said, clearly about to give me the sad-puppy face.

Whereupon Amy, may her name be praised, looked my daughter straight in the eye and said, "Start saving."

Which she did. I pay her a discounted family rate of $5 an hour to babysit her brother and $1 to clean a litterbox, and after months of saving diligently and only rarely buying a little something she was getting pretty close as Rhinebeck approached. It was clear that she wouldn't quite make it, but I arranged with Amy to pick up the wheel there anyway, because it's a long time between Rhinebeck and SPA, and I hate to pay for shipping if I don't have to. So I brought the Ladybug home to Miss B, but until tonight it was not entirely hers. Wednesday night is both choral rehearsal night for Grant and knitting night for me. On my return from knitting I went straight to the spreadsheet where I've been tracking Miss B's earnings, updated it, and, lo and behold, she was not only paid up but $11 to the good.

May we have a round of applause for Miss B and her hard-earned wheel?

And another one for Amy, without whom it would probably never have occurred to either of us that it could be done?

14 Comments:

  • Congratulations Miss B! I got my first wheel the same way.

    By Blogger Julie, at 5:57 AM  

  • (Standing O), Way to go Miss B., (deep bow) and a bunch of thanks to Amy. Congrats!

    By Anonymous Lisa, at 6:58 AM  

  • Excellent use of your income, Miss B. Now you need to invest in fiber!

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:11 AM  

  • YAY! Congratulations to Miss B.

    By Anonymous Lynne, at 9:20 AM  

  • Love the whole story and she'll love the wheel all the more because it's "hers". I bought my Cherry Schacht the same way. A little here and little there and before you know it...the wheel is yours!

    By Blogger margene, at 10:13 AM  

  • That's terrific! I hope it brings her many hours of joyful spinning.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:02 PM  

  • Good job Ms B!! Now let's see some results!

    By Blogger Lisa/knitnzu, at 1:06 PM  

  • Awesome! :) And much praise to Amy for using her mother instincts. :)

    By Blogger Jena, at 5:54 PM  

  • Excellent work, Miss B! And excellent advice, Amy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 PM  

  • this should be on some parenting list of things YOU MUST TEACH YOUR KIDS. Go Miss B! And way to go Amy! You can tell she's a mama first, businesswoman 2d, which makes me want to spend money with her. :)

    By Blogger Mini, at 1:10 PM  

  • Now that's the way to make a purchase! Talk about getting them hooked, and with her own money to boot!

    By Blogger Alwen, at 4:15 PM  

  • Woo Hoo!

    Congratulations, Miss B!

    By Blogger Cookie, at 7:33 PM  

  • Fantastic! Most of us, or our families, work our butts off for our spinning supplies. Thrilled she had this lesson.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 7:31 AM  

  • When I was about Miss B's age, I decided I wanted to go to summer camp and saved up my money to go for a week. A valuable lesson and it will carry her far in life ...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home