Rhymes With Fuchsia

Monday, November 09, 2009

Bringing Up the Rear

So... I still haven't told you about Rhinebeck, have I? Rhinebeck was, well, Rhinebeck: familiar scenes, vivid moments with people I see all too rarely, and a touch of the completely bizarre.


The bizarre was foreshadowed on the Friday morning, when I saw this next to my front walk after shipping Taz off to school. Snow, not just in the air but on the ground, on October 16. It didn't last long, though, and, inauspicious omen or not, Ruth and I couldn't wait to begin our adventure. We left around 3:00, and our trip out was uneventful.

And then we were there...









...and then it was time to go.

As we drove up the Taconic we admired the sunset over the Catskills, a strip of blue on the western horizon portending better weather coming our way.


Not soon enough, alas. The snow started in the Berkshires and followed us almost all the way home.


And what remains? A bunch of great memories, and, of course, the loot. Left to right: superwash merino fluff from a vendor I always visit but whose name I can never remember; Briar Rose Legend in a purple/mustard colorway that somehow twanged my color sense — I who steadfastly maintain that I hate yellows and browns could not resist this, probably because of the purple — Briar Rose alpaca laceweight; Bearfoot in a solid plum and a colorway called Heather that I'd never seen before.

Bring on the snow: I'm ready.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Nice recap, and even later than mine! I'll quote you when the snow comes, 'k?

    By Blogger Laurie, at 6:52 AM  

  • Wonderful photos! and it looks like a wonderful time as well! Thanks.

    By Blogger roxie, at 8:51 AM  

  • You've managed to document the exact moment when Norma's obsession with dog sweaters started!

    By Blogger Carol, at 8:58 AM  

  • Dagnabbit! I wanted to come to Rhinebeck so badly this year... sheesh. Could you all just hold Rhinebeck in the midwest next year? That would be good. And I want to knit the teal Knitty sweater in the first picture. kthanxbai. ; )

    By Anonymous Ann, at 9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home