Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sphere of Influence

To hear the pundits tell it, the world may be coming to an end, if various nations can't figure out a way to bring the economy back from the dead (where is Miracle Max when you need him?), or if the election comes out the wrong way, or if the price of oil goes up, or maybe down. I myself have been thinking that if McCain gets elected it may be time to modify my speech patterns, eh? If you are of like mind, you may enjoy this handy video.

But as Crazy Aunt Purl noted last week, there is very little a normal person can do about a lot of this. I can do whatever is legal and within my daily decreasing means to support the candidates of my choice, but in the end, I'm just one voter. On the financial crisis, I don't even get a vote, which is just as well since I haven't a clue which, if any, of the proposed remedies will work.

Like a lot of other people, in uncertain times I turn to things I can control, like knitting. With knitting I can start when I want, end when I want, and make something beautiful, or at least usable, where a mass of random wool existed before. I, a humble knitter, can reverse the law of entropy. (Some people who happen to be my husband might suggest that I should apply this awesome power to certain perhaps less than pristine areas of our house. I try to ignore him. Moving right along...)


Both scarves are coming along nicely. I can get about eight rows of Meander done during a commute, and Wild Thing has been getting me through baseball games. I'll also be starting the Pine Street Inn squares soon.

Making what difference I can, one stitch at a time.

3 Comments:

  • Knitting is the way I stay sane through all this hope, anxiety, and fear. We've done what we can and still work for the change we want to see, but only time will tell.

    By Blogger margene, at 7:35 AM  

  • I have friends who live in a neighborhood where one of the houses suddenly and without warning slid down the hill and took out three other houses. Life is uncertain. Knitting is one of the few things that is even slightly under our control. There is such comfort in knitting.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:21 AM  

  • You are hilarious. I will try to watch the video later... middle of the night and all, might keep others too awake. I made a new google gmail account... here's hoping it is the identity I'm commenting with...

    By Blogger Lisa/knitnzu, at 3:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home