Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday Foliage

After a wet summer we're having a glorious autumn; rumor has it that all that water will help the trees hang onto their leaves longer. No leaf-peeping tours for me: I'm lucky enough to have a panoply of color right in my back yard.


This tree in the corner is always the first one to turn, and it's often so quick to lose its leaves that I miss it. Not this year, though. Colors galore.


There are still flowers if you're willing to get small. I don't know the name of this (Alwen? Lisa?), but I'd always considered it a dull little weed, never having looked at it too closely. Now that I have, I'm revising my opinion.

2 Comments:

  • Love the colors! I think the pink is smartweed (polygunum, buckwheat family according to my field guide) -it's neat, but can certainly take over ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:18 AM  

  • I think Joy's nailed it, Polygonum something, maybe P. pennsylvanicum.

    We used to get some by the edges of a drainage ditch near my high school, and I always found it interesting how it varied in color from white to intense pink. I guess it's not surprising I ended up in horticulture at college.

    By Blogger Alwen, at 9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home