Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Oddity


Having long ago lost the ability to comment intelligibly, never mind intelligently, on anything at all, I present this picture I took on the way home a couple of weeks ago. There was this weird rainbowish thing in the sky, only not exactly a rainbow, because 1) it went almost straight up and down — well, rainbows do that sometimes, but this seems to be an arc of a circle around the sun, not opposite the sun 2) it wasn't raining. So what is this thing? Anyone know? (My apologies for the through-the-windshield picture. It's the best one I got. Click to embiggen, not that that will help much.)

5 Comments:

  • Circumscribed halo?

    I saw a moonbow once. That was really cool.

    I hope you got lots of knitting done (and that the lighting got better!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:18 PM  

  • it looks like a sundog to me - you can read about them here :
    http://www.atoptics.co.uk/bows.htm

    By Blogger Teyani, at 1:11 AM  

  • well I don't know what it is but it is pretty. Glad to hear that you got a room - we booked one in the summer hoping that we could go and thought that we would cancel it if we couldn't go, we are coming but I imagine that other folks did the same thing. See you there

    By Blogger J., at 9:21 AM  

  • Yep, it's a sundog. We see them out west often and the lore says it will rain within 5 days.

    By Blogger margene, at 10:12 AM  

  • Part of a sundog, a type of iridescent cloud. I just looked in Google Images for iridescent clouds, and wow! there are some spectacular ones there.

    They are associated with ice crystals high in the atmosphere, sez my Audubon Field Guide to Weather. Sparkly!

    By Blogger Alwen, at 11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home