Rhymes With Fuchsia

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The Mind of a Cat

Realizing that it had gotten dark a good while ago and Callie was still outside, I went to the front door and called her, and she immediately appeared and looked like she wanted to come in, but she was dithering about it and I wanted to make sure Achilles couldn't escape before I held the door open for her. So I did that, and then I opened the door again, and she just stood on the front walk looking at me, then meandered in the other direction.

So I went to the kitchen door, opened it, and she shot in before I could say a word.

Why do cats do stuff like that? Do they have some inscrutable feline reason for scorning one door for a different one 15 feet away, or do they just enjoy playing with our heads? (All we wanna do...) (Aaaaaargh! Stop that!)

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • We're not unreasonable. I mean . . .

    Cats exist on a different temporal/ spatial plane. It intersects with our reality, but is not bound by it. That's what they have told me, anyhow.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:19 AM  

  • They want to mess with our heads. That's it. They have control issues and we are their targets. It's one of those things we just have to get used to. Try offering a treat and then don't give it to them...reverse psychology.

    By Blogger dogquilter, at 10:54 AM  

  • My cat can't live in my house (kids with allergies, cat with high level of allergens) - she's a rescue, so my garage, good food and company are better than she had (an appt with the needle). And still the beast is abominable! She yowls and howls for food knowing it's in the garage. I open the garage door for her and she scoots up to the door ... and doesn't go in. She just looks at me. So I give her a hand and she does that fluid feline flick o'the body and lands about 5 feet away. Still outside the door. Still yowling for food. I call her by her real name and walk away.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:21 AM  

  • I lost my cat almost 2 years ago, and they ingratiate themselves into your heart and life so much that, when they don't come home from their roaming around, you NEVER forget their little quirks. And they DO have their quirks--just like yours, but they ARE endearing little quirk, aren't they!! Just love them for it!

    By Blogger Bluebird49, at 1:11 AM  

  • i'd have thought that after several decades of conscious cogitation and something like 100 cat-caring years you'd have gathered that cats love CONTROLLING humans. another door, another bed, another dish ... it matters not wot, only that you are willing to hunker your human ass to the back door at her desire.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home