Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Ten on Tuesday

Today's official Ten on Tuesday is ten places you want to go and have never been to before. I had every intention of sticking to that, as I'd have no trouble at all coming up with ten, but then I read Stephanie's post on San Francisco. I love San Francisco, and I haven't been there in at least ten years, if you don't count flying in for my oldest friend's wedding and only seeing bits of it in the dark going to and from the airport. So I'm changing things up a bit.

Ten Places I've Been and Really Want to Get Back to Someday
  1. San Francisco, obviously. Before moving north my oldest friend lived in the Castro, then in the Mission, and my brother at one point lived in North Beach, great neighborhoods all. It has hills to make your calves cry and a smell all its own. It's the only place outside New England that's ever felt like home to me.
  2. Montréal. Grant and I honeymooned there — we didn't have time or money until we'd been married a couple of years, but Montréal was worth the wait. Incredible restaurants, great botanical gardens, and a terrific water park on Île-Ste-Hélène.
  3. Old Sturbridge Village. It's a living museum of Colonial life located, strangely enough, in Sturbridge, MA, which is only an hour or so from my house, but I haven't been since I was a kid on a school field trip. I admit that I didn't think of this one until I was making this list, but I definitely want to plan a family outing.
  4. Nova Scotia. My family vacationed there when I was 18, staying in government-run campgrounds to save money. Absolutely gorgeous place. I went swimming in the Bay of Fundy, one experience I'll feel no need to repeat if I ever make it back there.
  5. Les Eyzies-de-Tayac, France. Paleoanthropology central, the home of Font de Gaume, the only polychrome prehistoric cave paintings open to the public, and Lascaux Deux, an (almost) exact replica of Lascaux. (To preserve the original paintings from environmental damage Lascaux itself is open to a very limited number of people each year; there's a long waiting list, and it helps to be an internationally known paleoanthropologist, which I am not.)
  6. Old North Bridge. Another historic site even closer to my house than Old Sturbridge Village. If you grow up in Concord, MA, you get surfeited with Revolutionary War history along about third grade, but I discovered by going along for Miss B's class field trip last year that the Old North Bridge is a really cool place. Another family outing to plan.
  7. Toronto. I've only been there on business, and from what I saw of it (airport, hotel, streets, bank, conference room) I could have been anywhere. I'd like to go back, preferably in the summer, and borrow Lene's eyes for a while.
  8. Salt Lake City. Same as Toronto, only this time I need Margene's perspective.
  9. Carcassonne, France. Castle on a hill. What can I tell you? I'm a sucker for romance.
  10. Shelburne Falls, MA. Funky old bookstores, the Bridge of Flowers, a really cool yarn store in a tiny yellow house.
How about you?

6 Comments:

  • this is a great list! i wanted to go to sturbridge village one day. it's not far from me either, but the traffic to get there was just insane and i said f*** it.

    By Blogger maryse, at 8:06 AM  

  • 1. Old SanJuan, Puerto Rico. 2. . . all right you ideas, one at a time. I can't process all of you at once. Someone will have to back up so this log jam will clear. I'll get to everyone in your turn. OK, ... 2.Penzance, England. 3.Yellowstone Park 4. . . . .interesting. YOu are returning to places of educational and intellectual value. I'm thinking of returning to places I have been particularly happy. 5. That little coffee shop in Redondo Beach, California. 6. Uluru, also known as Ayers Rock, Australia. Dinner under the stars. 7.Victoria, BC 8.Sea Mopuntain Village, Hawaii, Hawaii. 9.I know I will want to return to the Embarcadero in Newport, Oregon. I am so happy here. 10. OK, one place of intellectual and educational interest. Mystic Village, Conn. I wasn't particularly happy there, but it sure was a neat place.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:41 AM  

  • Thank you for including SLC in your list! Come on out any time! I'd love to go to most of the other places you've named, too.

    By Blogger margene, at 10:00 AM  

  • I'd love to go back to Montreal too. One of the best meals I ever ate was at a restaurant there...

    By Blogger Danielle, at 11:11 AM  

  • I like this Ten. SLC is a must.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 4:37 PM  

  • i took my husband to sturbridge village a year or so ago - it was fall and downsized from my last visit 8 yrs before but still fun. we've got a visit coming up and we're going camping at october mountain in lee, and going to the windsor jambs. our family's idea of vacation was camping and those were our favorite spots. i'm excited to be going again and wish i had more time. it's been about 5 years since i got out there to camp but it feels like longer. somehow we never made it out to shelburne and the bridge of flowers...although it seems we drove through there so i don't know how we missed it. thanks for making me think about some of those old places. i'd like to go back to old newgate prison, we went once when i was 12. and out by worcester there's some state park i never went to because of parents (they were in charge, right) and then because of traffic, but i still want to, some chasm or other that sounded like good hiking fun. if we had more than a week there, i'd try and fit in this visit. *sigh* not to mention getting back to sweden......

    By Blogger the boogeyman's wife, at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home