Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, May 04, 2008

Going With the Flow

You may have noticed lots of sky and water, no knitting, on the blog lately. A large part of the reason for this is that I'm stuck on required knitting again. My second double-knitting class is less than a week away, and I've barely started my homework, which is to pick a pattern and knit a hat up to where the decreases begin. I got stuck on the cast-on: we learned a perfectly lovely cast-on that leaves a decorative purl ridge on the bottom, but I wanted to try a tubular cast-on. This turns out to be very hard to do, because a tubular cast-on doesn't take kindly to being lined up on top of the needle so you can be sure it's not twisted. Even when I tried knitting back the other way, I came to a place where the cast-on had gotten reversed somehow, so that the purls were knits and vice versa. (I'd show you a picture, but you've seen tangled yarn before. It's not pretty.)

So I need to quit trying to do things My Way and accept this as a learning experience if I'm to have a prayer of being ready for class.

Man, I hate that.

7 Comments:

  • Ew...a learning experience. I hate those. ;) Good luck with your hat.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 AM  

  • My trick for tubular cast on is that I always do it flat and don't join in round til I'm on the 1st row of the regular knitting part. I've only done it for socks, so its only a wee little "seam" that needs fixing at the end. Don't know if it would have acceptable results on a larger piece.

    By Blogger Pumpkinmama, at 6:30 AM  

  • ROFL at Imbrium's comment. Me TOO! I hate those. :D

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:12 AM  

  • I've been told that learning experiences are good for me. I don't like them one bit, though. (And usually, MY WAY is the better way. Just saying.)

    By Blogger Danielle, at 9:36 AM  

  • And why do I feel, in my very bones, that as soon as the "asssignment" is finished, you will, by Ghu, solve that nasty tubular cast on problem? You're just that kind of girl, Lucia. This is not failure, only postponement.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:39 AM  

  • Knitting class? Wow! I'm with you about doing things, sucks to have to learn something sometimes when we can't always be right.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 6:32 PM  

  • I still think that if anyone can figure out an ingenious solution to a very specialized problem like that... it's probably you. ;-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home