Rhymes With Fuchsia

Monday, May 12, 2008

After the Fall

As pretty much everyone who was there knows by now, a vendor's cash box got stolen at NHSW. Amazingly, it was found later, with the cash gone, natch, but with the checks and credit-card receipts intact, which is at least something. Apparently the vendor was covering things and closing down on Saturday afternoon, turned her back momentarily, and turned around again to find she'd been robbed. (I joined the steady stream of people who headed over to her booth to improve matters a bit by buying something, and did I snag some awesome laceweight. Pix to come.)

Hearing this, I felt as if I'd reached into a basket of beautiful sock yarn and grabbed a scaly coil instead of a skein. Chris ascribed the crime to our becoming known as easy marks, too honest, too trusting. It's disheartening to find that snakes have crawled into our yarn basket, making life just a bit darker and harder for everyone.

Yet Chris also told me that not only was there thievery in Maryland as well, there were incidents within the knitting community, involving brazen attempts to copy other people's work. Now, I photograph beautiful things I see at festivals all the time, and I think most of us take inspiration from fellow knitters (I might wish it otherwise, but unlike some designers I can think of I wasn't born a genius), but hanging out in a booth with pencil and paper diagramming a pattern? Taaaacky.

Of course I knew that even in the world of fiber arts all is not always sweetness and light. I still think that we're a nicer-than-average crowd on the whole, but from now on I'll keep a closer eye on my wallet, and on my friends' cash boxes. And I'll remember that we are, after all, human beings, for better and for worse.

9 Comments:

  • Alas, there is no way we could have become exempt from human nature and its dark side.

    By Blogger Laurie, at 5:53 AM  

  • "tacky" ... my mother's favorite pejorative. And very appropriate in this context.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 8:57 AM  

  • How wonderful that such an occurrence should be a rare and shocking event. Knitters ARE honest and trustworthy people. The few bad apples should be noted and publicized to make us more aware. Did anyone speak to the person charting out (stealing) the pattern? Some folks simply don't realize that taking ideas is theft.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:34 AM  

  • it's all really such a sad statement on the condition of the world. To boldly rip people off like that is just beyond words. I also heard about someone selling imitation Bosworth spindles. I mean, if you're going to go through the trouble to make something, why not just make it original? It seems like it would be so much easier than trying to make an exact copy. I could just reach out and give a cyber slap.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 PM  

  • Actually I hadn't heard about this. How awful! :-(

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:45 PM  

  • That bites, really. Nothing is sacred any more.

    By Blogger Carol, at 7:23 PM  

  • Like a small town grown big too quickly, we no longer know everyone. Sadly, it makes our trusting outlook naive.

    By Blogger judy, at 8:46 AM  

  • Thanks for this post; I missed NHSW this year. It's sad, but trust just seems to invite exploitation. Next festival, I will think more about security. Pattern theft analysis - bang on. If I like a pattern, or even just an element from a pattern, I just buy the thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:51 AM  

  • As Dobby would say, "NOT cool."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home