Rhymes With Fuchsia

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Saturday Sky: Bunting Situation


Last fall Miss B decided that she wanted to take up the flute and join the school band. We thought this was a fine idea, although we weren't sure she would stick with it. She did: when her class of six fifth-grade flutists eventually dwindled to two, she was still there. Since we failed to pay sufficient attention to a notice that came home detailing all of the band gigs in which she would participate, we barely made it to her first concert, and realized that she was due to march in the Memorial Day parade only the day before. We recovered, however, and got her delivered to the starting point and ourselves ensconced along the route in the center of town.


It was a grand occasion, with Minutemen, Scouts of both sexes and various ages, the elementary band, and the high school band in full regalia. The Minutemen are the ones in period costume; the guy in front of the fire station looks quite anachronistic (you probably can't really tell, but he is using a metal crutch). They are historians and reenacters of the original Colonial Minutemen, unrelated to the right-wing fringe group.


There are five elementary schools in our town; this was the first time they had all played together, and they had maybe half an hour to practice before the parade. They acquitted themselves remarkably well. Miss B is the one waving instead of getting ready to play.


If she's still playing in four years, she'll have an opportunity to try out for the high-school band and march in splendor. I'm not sure wearing one of those hats on a warm day is such an honor, but they looked great.

Taz went to the parade with us; we weren't sure how he would feel about this, as he is often put out by crowds, noise, and unfamiliar places.


We needn't have worried: he had a great time.

11 Comments:

  • Sounds like you all had a great day!

    By Blogger Manise, at 2:42 PM  

  • I'm so glad you took this picture ... I forgot my camera, and I spy Her Ladyship towering right behind Miss B!

    I'm glad Taz enjoyed himself. That's a lovely smile he's flashing, there.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 3:48 PM  

  • What great parade photos - thank you for sharing them!

    Don't worry - before you know it, she'll only have one year left and you'll be panicking because you've only gotten butt pictures for the past four years...or is that just me? ;o))

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:10 PM  

  • My favorite parade performance was the lawn chair brigade in the Rockport MA parade some years back. They were quite a scene! I miss the minutemen, they don't march up here. Actually very few people march in our parade, it's overall disappointing. Glad you and Taz and Ms B had a grand time!

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 9:54 AM  

  • Ah, this brings back memories! :-) Yeah, I played the flute too. And the piccolo when required, but I really hated that because it was so hard to keep it in tune. I wonder if Miss B will feel the same way...

    Oh, and I have to giggle--marching band was definitely not an audition-quality activity at my high school. ;-)

    Taz looks happy. :-) Good deal!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:41 AM  

  • Great pictures! Taz looks like he's enjoying the parade, what a happy kid.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 PM  

  • What day are you going to the frolic?

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 6:47 PM  

  • How wonderful! My sister was a bandgeek, too - she played the clarinet and was really good, although the agonized bleats that emanated from the thing before she got the hang of it still haunt my nightmares. Hope you get to enjoy the advanced years and that Miss B continues to have fun.

    p.s. Taz looks like he's having a blast!

    By Blogger Lene Andersen, at 10:40 PM  

  • Such fun! Our parades don't have Minutemen, or anything nearly so cool. I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves, especially Taz.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:40 PM  

  • How did I miss these posts?! 2 Happy kids=great place to be! I love it when the kids are happy:)

    By Blogger Carol, at 11:54 AM  

  • Oh, Miss B is a superstar! Looks like a great parade too--- definitely not the Newton parade, I know. :)

    Oh, and I was having a BAD day today-- tell Taz his smile cheered me right up!

    :)

    By Blogger Mini, at 3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home