Rhymes With Fuchsia

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Meant To Be

Our first stop when we got to the Fiber Frolic was the used-equipment shed, where I hoped to find a drum carder. Eventually someone did bring one in, but it was too big (drums about 18 inches wide) and too rich for my blood. We didn't move on right away, though, because this caught my attention.


A Jensen Tina II with three regular and three laceweight bobbins and all the standard accoutrements. I walked around it, admired it, stroked it, tried it. It was smooth as silk. I was in love; so was Miss B. At this auspicious moment my cell phone rang; it was Grant, wanting to check on some Taz-care detail. I told him about the wheel, and he said (condensing and paraphrasing) I could decide. Since it was getting close to time to meet Lisa, we wandered away, still lusting. If it was still there in the afternoon, I thought, it would be mine.

By the time I ran into Cheryl and Teresa, after lunch, I had pretty much made up my mind, so I invited them to come watch me buy it. Only... when we got there its happy new owner was packing up its accessories. I was five minutes too late.

Silently berating myself (why why why hadn't I bought it on the spot? why why why?) I followed the crowd back to Amy's and rather dazedly bought Miss B some pink-and-green roving: since I won't be dropping a bundle on a wheel, I thought, might as well let the kid have her fun. She tried out one of Amy's wheels while I poked around in some nearby booths.


Eventually we drifted back to the other big building where Dave was ensconced, and Miss B tried a Hitchhiker... and tried it, and tried it, creating quite a bit of yarn in the process. Finally I left her there and went off to find the Forrester spindles. By the time I was done, it was past closing time, and I collected her and headed out.

I was putting the key in the ignition when at last I heeded the call of destiny, and we raced back to the fairgrounds, getting in just under the wire. Luckily Dave is a patient man.


Some things are meant to be.


Enablers of the world, take note: I'm still looking for the wheel of my dreams.

25 Comments:

  • If you're not careful, Miss B will soon have a stash to rival yours ....

    By Blogger Ruth, at 7:36 AM  

  • I'm amazed at how well she's doing and how fast she spun that up and knit her scarf. My hat's off to Miss B :)

    By Blogger Amy Boogie, at 9:18 AM  

  • Now that's enabling of the finest kind. Perfect wheel for her! Yours will come in due time.

    By Blogger Manise, at 9:38 AM  

  • I'm sorry you didn't get the Tina but a hitchhiker for the girl is a fine, fine thing.

    By Blogger Carole Knits, at 10:00 AM  

  • Miss B is awesome! Love the scarf and adore the wheel! Your wheel will roll around soon. And in the meantime, maybe Miss B will share hers?

    By Blogger roxie, at 10:20 AM  

  • Ooo, you are a very good mother. Your time will come!

    By Blogger margene, at 10:30 AM  

  • woo-hoo miss B! look at her go! was that her first time?

    and tina wasn't for you. if she had been, she would have waited for you to come back for her. she's a slut ;)

    By Blogger maryse, at 11:06 AM  

  • Wow, what a talented kid! And I love the preppy color combination. Looks like a great investment :)

    By Blogger YawnOver, at 11:34 AM  

  • Look at Miss B. go! :-) I'm so sorry you missed out on the Tina (sigh...), but can I tell you how impressed I am with Miss B.? You did the right thing, no doubt about it. I'm so happy she has a wheel of her own to love. :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 AM  

  • Ohhh. I want a wheel! I want to spin the yarn for a pink and green scarf! What a great mom you are. My daughter would kill for one of those. Hmmm.

    By Blogger Annie, at 1:52 PM  

  • That's pretty wild that Miss B got the wheel. Too bad a/b yours, but when you see the wheel is right, you won't dawdle, you'll just leap upon it.

    By Blogger WandaWoman, at 3:03 PM  

  • You can just see the concentration in her face! She deserves the wheel, you can see it. She'll do wonders with it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:13 PM  

  • I think you need to find a better hiding place for your stash now :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 PM  

  • I'm sorry about the Tina, but I'm sure you'll find the wheel for you.

    It's wonderful that Miss B took to spinning - now you'll have something else to bond over :-)

    By Blogger Nicole, at 7:18 PM  

  • oooh Dave the hitchhiker guy is soo nice met him at Rhinebeck!
    Denise
    knitchat.com

    By Blogger Sorka, at 7:56 PM  

  • Oh look at her go! Wow! Glad you got a wheel, glad Miss B likes to use it, glad you're still out there for the one of your dreams. She reminds me so much of my son in her focus and 'adult'ness!

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 8:39 PM  

  • Wow! We could all take a lesson from Miss B. Spin it and knit it! She is doing grandly and you must be thrilled. Even if you are still waiting for that perfect wheel to turn up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 AM  

  • That's such a great picture of Miss B doing her spinning thing! So tell me what you would like in the enabling department? I aim to please.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 AM  

  • Your daughter looks so intent; I think that the hitchhiker was probably the right purchase...even though you lost out. The wheel was beautiful - your day will come; think of the joy she will feel (and the trouble she will stay out of!)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:21 PM  

  • You may be looking for the wheel of your dreams, but right now, Miss B is looking like the KID of my dreams. Look at her go!

    If indeed spinning wheels are meant to be (and it looks like they are) then yours is still out there, just waiting for you. And maybe Miss B will let you borrow hers from time to time, if you ask nicely.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:58 PM  

  • Congrats Miss B!!! You two go very well together:)

    By Blogger Carol, at 1:09 PM  

  • Hi Lucia! We are happy to hear that you had a great time in Maine. Everyone at True Jeans would like to extend an invitation to you to be a fit tester. Let us know if you will be in and around the Boston area and we can set up an appointment for you. Hope to hear from you soon!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:30 PM  

  • No coffee? Poor you! Hope you've found something you like that is satisfying.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 7:29 PM  

  • Start 'em young! :)

    By Blogger Jena, at 12:55 AM  

  • The wheel is gorgeous - the scarf is amazing and the yarn is too dye for!
    Happy Spinning Ms. B!
    Holly

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home