Rhymes With Fuchsia

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Nonbinding Resolution

My friend Kay has just been through her third round of chemo and surgery, and is celebrating clean margins and a good recovery so far. She is blessed with a church full of incredible people who have taken wonderful care of her. Since I don't live near her I haven't been able to be of any practical use, and I've been glad and grateful that she has such amazing friends.

In her last update Kay mentioned that while she's had a fairly easy time of it this time around, the chemo has done real number on her feet. Her toes are very tender and her ankles often swollen. Because her feet are on the big side to begin with, she's been unable to find comfortable socks: men's socks may be long enough, but they're almost never wide enough, and stretchy nylon doesn't cushion her toes from her shoes.

You know where this is going, right?


Of course you do. I'm knitting all my healthiest thoughts into these socks in Esprit, elann's knockoff of Cotton Fixation. (Esprit is one of my favorite yarns btw, indistinguishable as far as I can tell from its pricier twin.) They will be nice and soft, stretchy and thick, and they won't bind her feet. I'm so happy I can do something that she really needs and will like.

The First Knitter didn't make two socks at once on two circs, and she definitely didn't use periwinkle-blue Esprit. Still, I feel like she's holding one end of a long, long skein of yarn, and I'm holding the other, connected to the primordial essence of knitting. I'm making a necessity that can't be bought.

9 Comments:

  • So glad to hear that Kay is doing well ... the socks are a thoughtful gift. She will love them.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 8:48 AM  

  • There is something particularly magic about lovingly created custom-sized socks. Blessings and joy to both you and Kay! And thanks for that image of the First Knitter.

    By Blogger roxie, at 9:16 AM  

  • Glad Kay is doing well. I have only recently learned what good news "clean margins" is. You are a great pal making her those socks!

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 10:31 PM  

  • Oooh, now those look like comfy socks!

    For your question on my blog, Gorm is Ikea's crazy Swedish name for the shelving units I bought. The sock is on the pile of pieces that we had to put together. argh.

    By Blogger Heather, at 10:39 AM  

  • Not to mention all the love and healing energy that's also going into them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:19 PM  

  • I'm in Augusta, where in Mass are you? I go down to visit family now and then.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 7:29 PM  

  • Very touching. You're a good friend! :-)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 11:09 AM  

  • That's some kick-ass socks! I hope they contribute to the healing.

    By Blogger Lene Andersen, at 12:35 PM  

  • :) If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you one! I have about 4 cards left.

    By Blogger Carol, at 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home