Rhymes With Fuchsia

Friday, March 30, 2007

Acorny Story

For a number of years I've had, er, plumbing issues, and last week I finally went to the doctor. How times have changed. The last time I went, admittedly a good while ago before I got distracted by Taz's health issues, there were things that might or might not help, which turned out to be the latter in my case. Now there's a whole protocol involving controlled fluid intake and outgo, several drugs, and a laundry list of things I can't eat.

Before I even got the list I was sure chocolate would be on it, and coffee and tea, and I was right. Alcohol is also forbidden, which I don't mind because I hardly drink anyway due to wicked hangovers, but I am really ticked off about the cheese and tomatoes. All those yummy recipes some of you have been posting are driving me insane. Yes, I mean you, and you and you. I can't have potatoes either, or mushrooms, which I would have said were the meekest, mildest veggies imaginable. I can't have apples, peaches, strawberries, or plums.

Two things I can happily enjoy, however, are lamb patties and acorn squash, so that was what Grant made for dinner last Saturday and Sunday, the reprise being mostly for the benefit of Miss B. Her veggie palate is fairly narrow, but she has decided she looooves acorn squash, especially with butter and cinnamon and brown sugar on it. Well, really, who wouldn't?

Meanwhile, back at the Never-Ending Saga of the Elderly Cat, Ed spent several weeks meandering between his makeshift bed (read: cardboard flat lined with a towel), the food dish, and the litterbox. The new just-for-him litterbox is four feet from the food dish, which is two feet from the bed, so as not to require great navigating skills, but when he found the litterbox after several days there was great rejoicing. A few days after that he started wanting to go outdoors again, which we allow under close supervision, and after a few more days he found his way to the living-room sofa, a whole 15 feet from the food dish and the litterbox and apparently vastly superior to the bed.


(That's Callie keeping him company.)

So things were clearly looking up, and we weren't too surprised when, as Grant was serving Sunday dinner, Ed climbed on his chair and attempted a commando raid on the lamb. We of course removed him, but he was not easily discouraged, trying several more times during dinner. Finally, when we had all finished eating and Grant and Miss B had excused themselves, I let Ed get up and polish off the lamb crumbs on my plate. I figured there wasn't enough there to freak out his kidneys, and he'd get down when the lamb was gone.

Silly me.


Where is Marlin Perkins when we need him? The poor squash rind never had a chance.

10 Comments:

  • Your kitty has good taste.

    By Blogger margene, at 5:24 PM  

  • Must have been some good squash! My cat has no interest in fish but prefers chicken. He's probably go for the squash if it was buttered.

    By Blogger Kim, at 7:24 PM  

  • Good luck with your plumbing! How about butternut squash? I think it's my fave squash...curried, pureed, in chunks, as marmalade, as chutney... Glad Ed seems to be doing better.

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 5:06 PM  

  • Go Ed! He hunted it down and killed it, he's entitled to his feast! When I get old, I wanna be just like him - spunky and well-tended!

    Good luck with the plumbing. If you get to eat lamb, you sure picked the right season to start.

    By Blogger roxie, at 10:52 AM  

  • Well, like you said, who wouldn't like it? Ed included;) Hope all works out for you too. Food restrictions bite!

    By Blogger Carol, at 3:29 PM  

  • Mmmmnnnnn....squash.... Clearly your cats and kids are being raised up right. I do hope the diet helps -- it would just suck to be deprived of so many tasty things for naught.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:52 PM  

  • Thanks for all the well wishes! Yeah, they don't know much yet at work;)

    By Blogger Carol, at 9:05 AM  

  • Yay Ed! Glad to hear he's getting mischievous. How'd he get off the table?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 PM  

  • Bless his kitty heart.

    By Blogger Annie, at 11:19 PM  

  • Honestly, why don't they just give you a list of what you *can* eat? I hate those things... Good luck with it.

    Nice to see that your kitty has regained his predatory/ownership instincts. It's a good sign.

    By Blogger Lene Andersen, at 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home