Rhymes With Fuchsia

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Saturday Shawl, Oops, I Mean Sky


While looking through old pictures (I am an electronic pack rat too) I found a few of this shawl I made for a friend of mine who was under the weather. She is doing just fine now, I'm happy to say. Since you can see just a bit of sky in the picture (shut up! you can too), I'm using that as an excuse to post it.

I used Irish wool bought years ago from elann for the shawl; fellow Barbara Walker aficionados may recognize the pattern as Frost Flowers. This project marked the first time I was blown away by the metamorphosis lace undergoes in blocking. Looking at the picture, I'm also impressed by how loose my jeans are: I can still wear these very same jeans with no problem, as long as I don't want to do anything rash like sitting down or breathing.

14 Comments:

  • Oh, Lucia, what a gorgeous piece of knitting that is. The amazing shade of pink, the great big bold motif (why do I never see Frost Flowers knit in anything other than laceweight?--it looks fantastic when upsized.) And you even parted with this project willingly?... That is true friendship. ;-)

    By Blogger Beth S., at 10:46 AM  

  • Amazing knitting. Fabulous results. She must have loved that shawl.

    By Blogger kathy b, at 12:26 PM  

  • The shawl is beautiful. And, yes, you sure can see some sky!

    By Blogger knitnzu, at 5:26 PM  

  • Bravo! Frost flowers is the ONLY lace I have EVER attempted with any pleasure. Wonderful picture!

    (Don't you just hate the way our old jeans shrink over the years? I have a belt with the same problem. It used to cinch clear to the first hole, and now I have to exhale to fasten it at the utter last hole. Who would think a good leather belt would shrink like that?)

    By Blogger roxie, at 6:01 PM  

  • It's amazing at times what we find in the forgotten files of our machines. That shaw is beautiful and so is the bit of blue sky.

    By Blogger textilejunkie, at 6:29 PM  

  • Gorgeous!!!!!!

    By Blogger christine karr, at 10:08 PM  

  • What a very beautiful shawl this is, and it's so nice and generous of you to knit it up for your friend when she was feeling down - it must have cheered her up, no doubt about that! Fantastic work!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:53 AM  

  • The shawl is stunning. And you aren't the only one with winter weight.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:55 AM  

  • Gorgeous! Thanks for showing it!

    By Blogger Liz, at 10:21 AM  

  • Beautiful!
    I made a summer sweater some years ago with that lace stitch : in France, we call it "patte d'ours", which means "bear's paw".

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:38 AM  

  • It really is gorgeous ... and was doubly so in person. I'm glad to hear your friend is doing fine now, I've been wondering about her.

    By Blogger Ruth, at 2:41 PM  

  • Wow! Gorgeous knitting and color too!

    By Blogger Carol, at 7:53 PM  

  • Lucia - I just wandered in from Lynne's blog and had to comment. Your shawl is gorgeous!! And such a beautiful color.

    By Blogger YawnOver, at 6:32 PM  

  • That shawl is beautiful! You're a great friend to have been able to depart with that.

    Knit on!
    http://2sticksandastring.blogspirit.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home