Rhymes With Fuchsia

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ten on Tuesday

Ten Favorite Mail-Order Catalogs

This was a tough one (hence the 11th-hour post, literally). There used to be a lot more mail-order catalogs than there are now, or at any rate we used to get a lot more; I attribute the drop-off partly to paper's having gotten more expensive, partly to the rise of online catalogs and partly to the fact that we hardly ever order out of actual paper catalogs these days from anyone but LL Bean (OK, and WEBS, and once or twice Knitpicks, but even with them I mostly shop online). In any case, I don't know if some of these are even still in business, or still in the catalog business, but I do enjoy getting them, all crinkly and smelling of splurge: I'm like a kid in a candy store, ooh, I like that one and that one and I'll take two of those and one of those in each color — and it doesn't cost me a thing as long as my credit card stays in my wallet, which it usually does.

  1. LL Bean
  2. WEBS
  3. Knitpicks
  4. Patternworks
  5. Sharper Image
  6. Coldwater Creek
  7. Talbots
  8. Museum of Fine Arts/Metropolitan Museum of Art
  9. Barnes & Noble/Oxford University Press
  10. Victoria's Secret

1 Comments:

  • How about J Peterman? I'll buy a $250 cotton day dress shortly after my China Poland sow grows little fairy wings and flits off into the forest, but I still love the opulent, suave, indulged pictures Peterman paints with his words.

    And Land's End tugless tank swimsuits are the best value in the marketplace. I buy at least one a year.

    By Blogger roxie, at 11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home